Facebook Page

Business By RoyalCreamery Updated 6 Apr 2013 , 2:03pm by RoyalCreamery

RoyalCreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalCreamery Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:00am
post #1 of 48

AWhat tactics did you use to get LIKES on your Facebook page?? I'm having issues even posting a link to my page!! Is it because I'm using an iPhone?

47 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:38am
post #2 of 48

It might be the iphone connection.

Find the person on your facebook page who has the most friends of anyone.  Some people, as we know, have thousands of friends.  Ask that person to ask their "friends" to like your page.  It worked for me!

RoyalCreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalCreamery Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:47am
post #3 of 48

AI'll try that. Thanks

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:16am
post #4 of 48

AWhy do you want more "likes" on your FB page? If it's for a business there are far better ways to reach your target market.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:47am
post #6 of 48
Quote:

quote taken from website:

Hence, Facebook is Not Useless

We should not say Facebook is useless if it does not generate income to our business. We need to look into ourselves. Whether are focusing on getting quality page likes, whether we have a strong themed content and whether we have a business perspective or not, when we create our Facebook page. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest and other social media platforms are merely tools for our business to reach and interact with a bigger audience.

It can be useful if we do the things right, while it can also be not useful, if we do the things incorrectly.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:54am
post #7 of 48

A

Excellent article. To me the most important takeaway was the importance of quality vs. quantity. A single quality lead in your target market who is ready to buy is worth more than hundreds of random "likes".

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:06am
post #8 of 48

Well it's a FB thing maybe you don't understand.  While FB can be an excellent marketing tool,  for some people it is a popularity thing, the more "likes" the more popular.  I  "like" businesses on my page so if they are having specials, promotions or sales events, it's on my news feed.  This bakery which I like "Classy Girl Cupcakes", (check out her website), if she gets enough "likes", she holds cupcake auctions and other promotions, which is good for her business.  She keeps her customers involved with her business which I think is a good marketing strategy.

I like FB as a business tool

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:10am
post #9 of 48

The only likes I consider important (for business) are the people between ages of 24 to 45, within 50 square miles of me. The rest are other decorators....who don't buy my goods, but I love the social aspect of it (chatting with other people who have similar interests) ;)

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:12am
post #10 of 48

So I am much more concerned with my ranking on Google and what happens when people get online to search for a cake decorator in my town. People who stick strictly to Facebook to find vendors tend to be on the lower end of the budget and rarely ever order. They want to message about a cake, they want to text, they want to order on my wall....nah. Don't ask me how to explain why I think all that is true, it just is from my experience in my area.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:14am
post #11 of 48

I'm not really into FB pages, I find it awkward to post sometimes and only do it because I feel obliged! Now twitter, that's a different story.

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:14am
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

So I am much more concerned with my ranking on Google and what happens when people get online to search for a cake decorator in my town. People who stick strictly to Facebook to find vendors tend to be on the lower end of the budget and rarely ever order. They want to message about a cake, they want to text, they want to order on my wall....nah. Don't ask me how to explain why I think all that is true, it just is from my experience in my area.

Actually Jason, what do you think about what I said? Cause it's true. 99% of people who initiate contact with me on my wall, don't order. Fact. I don't care either, cause it rarely happens, and most contact comes from an email or phone call. (Whether they saw me on FB first is a possibility). I think that my target market however, does some investigating first, as in takes the initiative to track down my business via Google or phone book.

I could be rambling. But I can't argue what I've observed over the years.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:14am
post #13 of 48

A

Original message sent by enga

Well it's a FB thing maybe you don't understand.  While FB can be an excellent marketing tool,  for some people it is a popularity thing, the more "likes" the more popular.  I  "like" businesses on my page so if they are having specials, promotions or sales events, it's on my news feed.  This bakery which I like "Classy Girl Cupcakes", (check out her website), if she gets enough "likes", she holds cupcake auctions and other promotions, which is good for her business.  She keeps her customers involved with her business which I think is a good marketing strategy.

It can be a good strategy, if the likes happen organically and are actually potential customers. When you have a retail location (as in your example) this type of strategy makes more sense and is much easier to execute well.

The question is if OP is more interested in popularity or profitability.

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:15am
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

I'm not really into FB pages, I find it awkward to post sometimes and only do it because I feel obliged! Now twitter, that's a different story.

And I can't for the life of me think of things to Tweet! :D

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:19am
post #15 of 48
Quote:

Oh gosh, I thought I'd start off strictly business then it turned into what I'm having for lunch blah blah blah.

I think it's really good for connecting with other business, industry peeps, building a profile, sharing work etc. It's not necessarily for direct business leads, but I've found it invaluable.

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:21am
post #16 of 48
Quote:

So I am much more concerned with my ranking on Google and what happens when people get online to search for a cake decorator in my town. People who stick strictly to Face book to find vendors tend to be on the lower end of the budget and rarely ever order. They want to message about a cake, they want to text, they want to order on my wall....nah. Don't ask me how to explain why I think all that is true, it just is from my experience in my area.

That is true, I don't think it should be the only business tool, but it could be a good for advertising as a link from your main site, twitter too. And who doesn't want their bakery to pop up in the top 10 searches on Google,lol.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:24am
post #17 of 48

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Actually Jason, what do you think about what I said? Cause it's true. 99% of people who initiate contact with me on my wall, don't order. Fact. I don't care either, cause it rarely happens, and most contact comes from an email or phone call. (Whether they saw me on FB first is a possibility). I think that my target market however, does some investigating first, as in takes the initiative to track down my business via Google or phone book.

It really depends. If you are a custom shop and do not have a strong offline presence (such as a storefront or regular farmer's market booth) it's very difficult to beat a SEO-optimized professionally designed web site as your face to the world, and the best way to drive relevant traffic to your web site is targeted ads.

FB is great for multicast communications with existing customers and supplementing other customer acquisition strategies, but if FB is all you have you are in for an uphill climb.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:26am
post #18 of 48

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

We used Twitter as a replacement for email mailing lists, mostly to announce specials, press coverage, and articles relevant to our target market.

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:27am
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

That is true, I don't think it should be the only business tool, but it could be a good for advertising as a link from your main site, twitter too. And who doesn't want their bakery to pop up in the top 10 searches on Google,lol.

Yep. I am grateful for FB, Twitter and my blog for one major reason. Showing up first (or nearly first) in online searches only. Pretty much. I'm in a very small area though, and don't need to spend $ for advertising. If I were in a bigger city...I'd be singing a different tune for sure.

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:29am
post #20 of 48

I know Jason, but people have to start some where.  Maybe people are uninformed, or they might be working on getting a storefront or just starting a business, shoot, they may not have the money just yet for a well designed site.  You have to remember FB is free.

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:31am
post #21 of 48
Quote:

Yep. I am grateful for FB, Twitter and my blog for one major reason. Showing up first (or nearly first) in online searches only. Pretty much. I'm in a very small area though, and don't need to spend $ for advertising. If I were in a bigger city...I'd be singing a different tune for sure.

You are so fortunate AZCouture,  I hope to be in your position one day.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:33am
post #22 of 48

This cupcake business here in Chicago was launched entirely on Twitter. 

http://sproutsocial.com/insights/2012/05/twitter-success-stories-lists/

On liking FB pages to get free stuff, I find myself having a hard time paying full price for something that's constantly being given away, eventually you feel like a sucker for paying for something you may not have needed to. 

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:34am
post #23 of 48

A

Original message sent by enga

I know Jason, but people have to start some where.  Maybe people are uninformed, or they might be working on getting a storefront or just starting a business, shoot, they may not have the money just yet for a well designed site.  You have to remember FB is free.

There are several services that provide free web sites as well. Even a mediocre web site with basic SEO is preferable to having only a FB presence. Of course it's not impossible to be successful with no offline presence and only a FB page, it is just unlikely.

Hopefully this thread will result in fewer uninformed people. ;)

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:36am
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

We used Twitter as a replacement for email mailing lists, mostly to announce specials, press coverage, and articles relevant to our target market.

The only thing I like about twitter is that you can swearicon_lol.gif  Sorry quoting AZCouture

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:37am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

There are several services that provide free web sites as well. Even a mediocre web site with basic SEO is preferable to having only a FB presence. Of course it's not impossible to be successful with no offline presence and only a FB page, it is just unlikely.

Hopefully this thread will result in fewer uninformed people. icon_wink.gif

Maybe

kikiandkyle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:37am
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

The only thing I like about twitter is that you can swearicon_lol.gif  Sorry quoting AZCouture

thumbs_up.gif

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:38am
post #27 of 48

That's what I am talking about, to heck with full price,lol

enga Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:39am
post #28 of 48

Well I think we took over the OP thread, so sorry icon_redface.gif

jason_kraft Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:40am
post #29 of 48

A[quote name="kikiandkyle" url="/t/756474/facebook-page/15#post_7378718"]This cupcake business here in Chicago was launched entirely on Twitter. 

[URL=http://sproutsocial.com/insights/2012/05/twitter-success-stories-lists/]http://sproutsocial.com/insights/2012/05/twitter-success-stories-lists/[/URL][/quote] Foiled Cupcakes has a very well-done web site, they were just using Twitter to engage their target market before they launched the site (which was a great idea). If you have a specific niche and relevant content you can get a surprising amount of attention throughout the world just by using hashtags.

kikiandkyle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:54am
post #30 of 48

I was an early follower of Foiled, and I have to say that reading all about their strategy over and over again eventually left me feeling like I had been used, as I'm sure many did. I love their story, I just wish it didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%