Kopykake Projector To Decorate Cookies

Business By maryluvcakes Updated 4 Apr 2013 , 11:31pm by tarttokig

maryluvcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryluvcakes Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used a Kopykake projector to decorate oookies?  I am thinking about purchasing the 300xk, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.  I love to decorate cookies, so I would love to have one. 

7 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

I saw something on Facebook about an ipad app called Camera Lucida that you can use in a similar way, the good news is its only $5! Might be worth a shot.

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:36am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I saw something on Facebook about an ipad app called Camera Lucida that you can use in a similar way, the good news is its only $5! Might be worth a shot.

Its an iphone and ipad app! I used to today for the first time on cookies. I was just playing around so I made the Clippers logo on a round cookie. I printed out the logo, then sized it to fit within the cookie. I used my iphone to take a picture of the logo at the same height so I didn't have to worry about resizing it too much (I actually had to zoom in). I rested my phone on my large meringue powder can! :P  I then used a food marker to trace the design. I went over the lines with royal icing and then filled in with white. This was just for fun and I wanted to get them out to my friend quickly. I would probably do a white flood first, and then go back and trace and pipe. I had some unevenness with the icing. 

Differences (I don't have a kopykake so this is just from what I've seen): you look through the iphone or ipad screen instead of directly at the cookie. Some people have said the strange depth perception gives them a headache. I did four cookies, which took me about 20-30 minutes to trace and I didn't have a headache. I also haven't figured out if I can pipe while looking at the screen. That may take some practice. So the downside is that sometimes the food marker might not be thin enough, which is something I ran into.

What I do like about it is that I only have to have a phone-I didn't have to buy any additional equipment. I think the kopykake would be good if you plan on doing lots of intricate designs. But hey for the price of an app, I have a good way to trace things! I posted the picture on my personal FB account, and a bunch of my friends were impressed. And it also started a Clippers VS Lakers war. WHOOP. :P

HTH! 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 8

Great review, I've been planning to give it a try for a while but not got round to it yet. Good to know its easy to use with an iPhone too.

maryluvcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryluvcakes Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds great, but I don't have an IPad or an IPhone.  I think I'll purchase the Kopykake projector.  Thanks for all the information.

edeweese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edeweese Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 8

I saw something on pintrest where you can print the design you want onto waxed paper and then use food markers to transfer your design onto the cake or cookies. I haven't had a reason to try it yet. I'm sure the projector is amazing, but this could possibly get you by while you save up for it, if you want one SUPER bad and can justify getting one! If you try this technique let me know what you think!

HTH!!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 8

I love my KopyKake

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 8

AIf you have an Android phone there is a free app called "artists eye" that does the same thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%