CupcakerCathy Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:09pm
post #1 of

An old classmate just booked me for a wedding in September. He ordered 12 dozen cupcakes and would like them delivered. I normally charge $15/dozen but I would like to give him a discount because it is such a large order. The total for the cupcakes is $180 then the cost of gas would be about $5.

Do you have any suggestions as to an appropriate discount amount? My original idea was to give a $20 discount then add the gas on. Does that seem like too much? Or too little? Appropriate?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:17pm
post #2 of

i don't know it seems like $1.25 each is already a pretty rock bottom price

why not make them all into baker's dozens and give him 13 per dozen which makes a total of 13 dozen--one additional dozen cupcakes

if you feel you must be even more generous

or better yet include the honeymoon cake and box up 4 cupcakes in addition to the 12 dozen he ordered and make sure it goes into the getaway car after the reception

so often the b & g never get but a tiny bite of the cake and all the food for that matter

but anyway that's a sweet thing you could do and not break the bank any further

jason_kraft Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:30pm
post #3 of

AConsidering the market value for those cupcakes is probably twice what you're charging, you're already giving him a significant discount. Try pricing this order at other local bakeries for a better idea of how much you are undercutting the market.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 2:37pm
post #4 of

cathy--we have a very busy home town favorite bakery here whose cupcakes start at less than that so i don't believe that you are undercutting for a fact

i think your price is rock bottom but with what you have posted it cannot be determined that you are doing anything untoward

take care

Stitches Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 3:01pm
post #5 of

I sell cupcakes wholesale and retail.

$1.25 is my wholesale price, $2.50 retail (and that's really cheap!). For non-decorated standard sized cupcakes.

For orders over 200 cupcakes I will sell them my wholesale price (but that's 3 flavors choices only), mainly because that's the kind of business I want the most (large orders). 

I believe that your old school friend came to your business because they trusted your quality. If they wanted a discount then they would have figured out how to ask for that. I'd enclose a lovely wedding card or maybe put a pretty flower on top of each box at the most.

Bluehue Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 3:14pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i don't know it seems like $1.25 each is already a pretty rock bottom price

why not make them all into baker's dozens and give him 13 per dozen which makes a total of 13 dozen--one additional dozen cupcakes

if you feel you must be even more generous

or better yet include the honeymoon cake and box up 4 cupcakes in addition to the 12 dozen he ordered and make sure it goes into the getaway car after the reception

Oh, now this is a must do...

This would be more meaningful than giving a $$$ discount.

Always knew CC was lucky to have you amongst us Kate icon_smile.gif 

so often the b & g never get but a tiny bite of the cake and all the food for that matter

Isn't that the truth..... icon_rolleyes.gif

but anyway that's a sweet thing you could do and not break the bank any further

Bluehue

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:41pm
post #7 of

thank you, your blueness ;)

Bluehue Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:56pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

thank you, your blueness ;)

Loll - your welcome our memphis belle

Paperfishies Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:57pm
post #9 of

At $15 per dozen you're already giving him a pretty hefty discount.

When you get a chance, sit down and figure out your costs for each of your recipes, including cupcake wrapper, box and icing.

My cupcakes cost me anywhere from .75 cents to $1.10 EACH for me to produce...So at $15 per dozen, i would be losing money.  Really sit down and look at all of your costs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%