Uk Bakers Thinking Of Starting A Home Business

Business By Embles Updated 9 May 2013 , 2:07pm by Crazy-Gray

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 27

AThought I would post to share my start up story. I started in the usual way gifting cakes to work and friends offering to make things I wanted to make but for free and gradually I started getting specific requests and occasionally from friends of friends. I got a massive amount of joy from making cakes and love looking ar new techniques etc. I work in insurance and get paid well however cannot work full time because of childcare costs which are riduculous and wanted to supplement my income with cakes. I do not want to give up my day job because it gives me security but I did want the best of both worlds I still experience slow periods (and really busy ones, thank goodness) but my carrying on my day job I dont need to panic too much if the cakes go quiet for a bit. I contacted the tax office and registered as a business for self assessment (this took 10 mins over the phone..scary..) and contacted my local council to get the health inspector round. I scrubbed everything in my kitchen read through the online guidelines about storage, ventilation, waste disposal etc and also wrote up my guidelines. This included risk management ie how I make sure my food is used while fresh, my own personal procedures like tying up my hair washing hands and how I pack and transport my cakes to stop cross contamination, these are hand written and kept in a lever arch folder in my cupboard. I passed the inspection and because of the food I supply and how often I was given a low risk rating which includes an inspection every 3 years. Ive been running for a couple of years now and the council and inspector were so lovely and continue to be. My advice is if you are ready and can provide a service do it properly its mega rewarding and you have piece of mind too. Dont forget your business use on your car insurance and ur business extension on your home insurance. Happy baking

26 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 27

what a great story--how very nice for you!!!

thanks for sharing

Embles Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 27

AThanks k8 I thought id share after a particularly pleasant conversation with one of the health and safety guys at my local council and thought about how much ive enjoyed the last couple of years and how nice it is to be able to do something you love and get paid for it. Im having a happy day lol

SoDivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoDivine Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:00am
post #4 of 27

AThis is lovely and so encouraging. Makes a change from some of the business doom and gloom around here. I needed to read this today!

Keep up the good work and more success to you!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:39am
post #5 of 27

Embles - are you in the UK?

CakesAvenueUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesAvenueUK Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 27

AI am just embarking on setting up, I've been raising my kids alone and the youngest is going to nursery in September I don't want to be the stereotypical single mum on benefits so have decided to put my passion to use its all a bit daunting I've been allocated a business advisor & enterprise coach who has put a lot of the jargon into English for me I guess my biggest problem is at times I have a lack of confidence in my own ability even though everyone whose had a cake has said it looks & tastes amazing.... Guess I can be my own worst critic at times. Did you have to do a food hygiene certificate?

Embles Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 27

AThanks guys im glad its helpful!! Yep im in es*** (its not like towie, im skint and my house is average lol) I haven't taken a health and hygiene since I was 15 and at college, you dont need one but u do need to have ur kitchen or premises approved. Im so glad its relatively simple in the uk, couldn't be doing with all the cottage laws in the US sounds v complicated! !

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 27

A"(its not like towie, im skint and my house is average lol)"

What does this sentence mean? Lol

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 27

Anna, if you have Hulu search 'The Only Way is Ess ex' (no space on the last word) and you'll understand. And skint means you're broke.

Ask me how I know all about being skint. Also, I'm British by passport.

Embles Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 27

A[quote name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/756390/uk-bakers-thinking-of-starting-a-home-business#post_7379721"]"(its not like towie, im skint and my house is average lol)"

What does this sentence mean? Lol[/quote

Ha ha ha ha Theres a show here called the only way is es*** (its a rip off of the hills) and it shows everyone from es*** living in big houses gaving gair extensions, false eyelashes at 10 amand small dogs in handbags, and skint means poor ha

Embles Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 27

ASorry that was supposed to be the only way is es***

Embles Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 9:03pm
post #12 of 27

AIt wont let me post cos its anither word for making babies lololol how funny mods its an actual place lol thsts rwally tickled me

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 27

AI saw ads for that when I was watching Naruto with the kids, looks WHACK! Lol. Like Jersey Shore... I do t have the spare brain power after having 4 kids, and all that pot I used to smoke....

Embles Posted 6 Apr 2013 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 27

AWeve got geordie shire here too, a load if people from newcastle, getting wasted and punching each other CARCRASH tv brilliant!!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 27

AGeordie Shore hasn't made it to US tv, I think they had trouble finding someone to do the subtitles! We had Made in Chelsea for a while but it got cancelled because nobody watched it, and Desperate Scousewives is on the same provider as TOWIE. They also just started showing Corrie, on a two week delay, we're up to the day after the fire right now.

Embles Posted 7 Apr 2013 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 27

AHa I love reality tv, mainly cos its so unrealistic ironically! !! Jeremy kyle akso makes me giggle as it makes ne feel grwatful I still have alk my teetch lol look up some if the guests yuck love a but if corrie its in 5 times a week here I think. I need to get out mire I think

Ncakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ncakecreations Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 27

Hi,

I just wondered if you had to pay anything extra for your home insurance? And roughly how much is  the public liability insurance?

Thank you

icon_smile.gif

Embles Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm
post #18 of 27

AHome insurance reduced my cover actually, wouldnt cover anything I use to make cakes!!! Thecliability covered anyillness my cakes cause, equiptment and someone getting hurt in my home, about £150 a yearx

Nomsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nomsa Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:02pm
post #19 of 27

I just signed an HMRC form yesterday and registered with the council today now I am sooooo scared, I feel like I've thrown myself in the deep end! I am feeling kind of overwhelmed with all the different stuff I need to get ready. How do you guys keep track of your paperwork and also, how do you give people receipts? Do they pay by cash or into your bank account? What do I need to put in place for the safety guidelines for the inspector? All of a sudden I am looking at cakes online and feeling like I am waaaay out of my depth. Sorry for the question overload.

Chzcakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chzcakediva Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:53pm
post #20 of 27

ANomsa, I'm glad you ask those questions, I need to know many of the same things..really wish someone would respond however..I've been baking for a little while and really envy these women and men with all this wonderful talent, I mostly do olde fashion cakes, you know the ones everyone seems to have forgotten because of all this wonderful new talent..Anna said a quote about making 1 cake for 150 versus 50, that's my goal, what about you..keep up what you're doing sometimes we have to jump out on faith..good luck to you, may your business be all you want it to be.

Marion

Chzcakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chzcakediva Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:05pm
post #21 of 27

ANomsa I'm glad you ask those questions bcause I needed to ask the same..I've been baking for a little while but I bake olde fashion cakes, you know the ones we seem to have forgotten because of all this wonderful new talent, I really envy these men and women, I will get there one day though Lord willing..Anna made a quote about 150 cake versus 50.. That's the goal I'm working toward..hopefully someone will answer so..you know at some point you have to leap out on faith..good luck to you, happy baking.

Marion

Embles Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 4:58pm
post #22 of 27

A

Original message sent by Nomsa

I just signed an HMRC form yesterday and registered with the council today now I am sooooo scared, I feel like I've thrown myself in the deep end! I am feeling kind of overwhelmed with all the different stuff I need to get ready. How do you guys keep track of your paperwork and also, how do you give people receipts? Do they pay by cash or into your bank account? What do I need to put in place for the safety guidelines for the inspector? All of a sudden I am looking at cakes online and feeling like I am waaaay out of my depth. Sorry for the question overload.

Dont feel out of ur depth, if you search on here or on the net there is an order form (cakeboss search) and you can amend it and print it off if u want to and fill it in for any orders for ur accounts and print off a copy for the xustomersas a receipt. I am nnottaking a massive amount of orders cos caking is on top of normal work but make sure you keep all ur receipts foe stock equipment and outlay (I do my own self assessment because my income from this is low!! If you think that ur gonna b earning a decent amount I would try and find a mate who is accountantcy trainedand ask advice about how to keep ur accounts and what u can write off as a tax deduction. I lierally wrote down the basics of what I do and put them in a folder they are.not too involved but again ring upthe health department and ask what they will require to see at your inspection, they will help and wont try and catch u outx As far as ur actual cakes, price fairly and in line with other cakers in your area and if someone asks you to do something that you dont feel ready for dont take it on!!! It is much better to produce brilliant cakes that will get u a great reputation and u know u can do a good job with than take on monsters that u may not be able to complete to a high standard that will get people complaining. Im sure youll both be great, there is always a call for classic cakes too again just dont be pressured into attempting a cake that you dont feel comfortable withxxx good luckxxx

Nomsa Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 8:51am
post #23 of 27

Thank you  so much, this makes me feel better about the whole process. I guess it is knowing what I can do and can't do and being able to say No :). Fingers crossed, I am finally (after years of being begged to do so by my mum) taking  a big giant leap of faith! I must say, cake central is amazing, who needs culinary school hey ;).

Nomsa Posted 9 May 2013 , 9:30am
post #24 of 27

Hi,

I was just wondering which insurance provider you guys use. I am currently considering AXA. Any suggestions?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 9 May 2013 , 12:25pm
post #25 of 27

If you mean public liability I get mine through the British ********** Guild; you have to join the guild and you must have a turnover less than £7500 a year but you get insurance for £39 including guild membership- helpful if you only bake PT :-)

http://www.bsguk.org/

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 9 May 2013 , 12:43pm
post #26 of 27

I did use the British Su gar Craft Guild for my public and product liability insurance...  however, I'm quite close to the £7,500 turnover (not profit!!!) so I'm looking around.

As I take their 'middle' band of insurance (which was about £63, I think) the quote of £72 from Direct Line was quite competitive...  just need to compare cover.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:07pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

..........£7,500 turnover (not profit!!!).........

..................That would be a nice PT proffit!! ....hmmmm, 3 cakes a week would get that though..... not impossible..... although I would probably have to hide sharp things from my wife.........!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%