Covering A Cake Dummy And Getting Sharp Edges

Decorating By tdovewings Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 2:59pm by kazita

tdovewings Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

I've had no problem covering cakes with fondant, but today I'm trying to cover a cake dummy in fondant with no success. The fondant keeps breaking off right around the edges so I suspect it is probably because I haven't sanded the edges down enough. Or it could be the fondant, I'm not sure. I typically use satin ice for my cakes, but i'm using wilton for the dummy. 

The cake is for a cake show (my first ever entry) and I really want the edges to be sharp so I'm reluctant to sand them down more. 

Do I have to choose between sharp edges and smooth fondant?

3 replies
Sammy09 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 4

AHi. I've covered my cake dummies with cake boss's MMF with no problem. The recipe is on her website. I also use Veena's Asmanov's MMF recipe for everything. It's so flexible and I can roll out it very thin. When working with any of them I use glycerine instead of shortening. HTH

tdovewings Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 4

I just tried it again, sanding the edges down even more. I'm going to say it's the fondant. Not as bad with ripping but still a mess nonetheless. I'm going shopping for satin ice, if I can't find it--I'm going to stick to what I know and ice the dummies with buttercream.  I  should forget the entry altogether. I know I'm not gong to win, it was supposed to be for fun, but this is seriously got me stressed and is not fun anymore. 

kazita Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 4

AI've read on here that Michelle Fosters recipe ( MFF) is very easy to work with. I personally have never made or used it but I've read that its very flexible and easy to work with. I have read that if you make fondant that you need to let it sit overnight before using it. I agree that caking can be very stressful especially if you are a perfectionist. Hope whatever fondant you use things work out for you. Try to relax and keep it fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%