Would You Consider A Cake Made With Agave Nectar A "sugar Free" Cake?

Decorating By lorieleann Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 6:56am by auntginn

lorieleann Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:27am
post #1 of 4

I was looking around and was kinda shocked to see some bakers list "Sugar Free" cakes as being sweetened with Agave Nectar.  Now...I would assume that SF baking would require a true non-calorie, non- '-ose' (fructose, glucose, sucrose, etc) sweetener.  Something like Splenda (yuck!), or a Stevia blend, or others (something from tree bark?).  

Agave Nectar itself is highly processed and can contain between 55-95% fructose, which new research indicated "study participants who consumed fructose were found to gain more unhealthy visceral fat, were more insulin-resistant, and were at greater risk of developing heart disease and diabetes." Yes, there is the 'lower glycemic index' that the manufacturer's website cites, but the American Diabetes Association does not list it separately from white table sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, or honey. 

what am I missing here?  What do you consider "sugar free".  

3 replies
auntginn Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:42am
post #2 of 4

I really can't answer that question, but would like to know.  When I hear or see Sugar free, I expect just that. But in looking for recipes many contain some amount of sugar(s) form.  If you look on Splenda recipes you will see that theirs are a mixture of Splenda and sugar.

auntginn Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:52am
post #3 of 4
auntginn Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:56am
post #4 of 4

Since agave is a real sugar, it cannot make something sugar free.

http://www.allaboutagave.com/agave-vs-granular.php

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%