Liability Insurance

Business By AckerbergsCakes Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 5:44am by jason_kraft

AckerbergsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AckerbergsCakes Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

Any help is appreciated: I am at my wit's end trying to procure product liability insurance for my Michigan Cottage Law business. I've never needed needed this type of insurance before and it's now a necessity. I've been online searching for it for hours and all I can find is general liability as opposed to product. Apparently product liability can or cannot be included in a general liability plan depending on the company, and I don't want to purchase the wrong one. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm to the point where I'm about to go down the phone book and call every insurance company in there.

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5

AOur business liability coverage from The Hartford included the following:

General Aggregate 4M (2M each occurrence) Products/Completed Operations Aggregate 4M Personal and Advertising Injury 2M Damage to Premises Rented to You 300K Medical Expenses 10K Hired and Non-owned Auto 2M

The annual premium was ~$250 but we paid $425 since that's the minimum premium. http://www.thehartford.com/small-business-insurance

Another option is FLIP for $299: http://www.fliprogram.com/

AckerbergsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AckerbergsCakes Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

I have never heard of the Flip program, this sounds like exactly what I need. Thank you so much! I should have came here first!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 5:20am
post #4 of 5

I was looking for a policy and had quite a difficult time finding something through some brokers. Three came in around $750-$800 a year.  I got the FLI program insurance and had the proof of coverage needed within minutes.  Of course the proof of a good program comes once you need to make a claim, but for the venue that required the insurance it was adequate. 

There is a small line item in the policy that does state that it only provides coverage for food prep activity that is legal in your state/county. So if i decided to go out on a tangent and make salsa and people got sick from it and I needed to make a claim, the policy would not provide coverage as our Cottage food law does not permit non-baked goods. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 5:44am
post #5 of 5

A

Original message sent by lorieleann

There is a small line item in the policy that does state that it only provides coverage for food prep activity that is legal in your state/county. So if i decided to go out on a tangent and make salsa and people got sick from it and I needed to make a claim, the policy would not provide coverage as our Cottage food law does not permit non-baked goods. 

That clause is standard, any liability insurance provider will deny a claim caused by illegal activity on the part of the insured.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%