Tres Leches Cake Request. Can It Be Done????

Decorating By ladicakes Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 1:03pm by ladicakes

ladicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladicakes Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a tres leches cake but I dont think it can be done. I have never done or ever seen a tres leches cake stacked in tiers. This customer wants a FONDANT cake 2 tier and one of the tiers has to be tres leches top or bottom. I simply told her that it can not be done. So she decided to try with someone else and I lost the sale. I just didnt want to get involved. I rather experiment on my own first before selling or commiting to a customers needs. I am curious has anyone ever tried this before???? fondant doesnt mix with this cake because tres leches has to be refrigerated and is eaten cold ALWAYS. What could posibly go wrong with this cake? (EVERYTHING to me) has anyone done this before??? If you have please share your story.

6 replies
grey82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grey82 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

I just had a thought... Why not make the Tres Leches cake and leave it in it's pan then Fondant cover a larger cake pan that could nestle over the top of the first cake pan. Then the moisture content in the Tres Leches cake wouldn't leach out in to the Fondant and it could also be the bottom layer of the stack since the top layer would be held up by the Fondant covered "dummy" pan. They could take all the pretty pictures first then the cake on top could be moved to a serving plate and the lid removed to reveal the scrumptious Tres Leches Cake.

ladicakes Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

that might work it could be an option to put out there and see if they might want to do this. thumbs_up.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

I have had a few requests for Tres Leches cake and just decline them.  There is one bakery in town that does them, all sealed up in a 'whipped topping.' They are drippy moist yumminess, but not something that can be covered in fondant and treated as a sturdy cake.  If I had a client who was insistent on 3L cake, I'd probably suggest to have separate dessert cups on a sweets table. 

ladicakes Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

I actually did suggest getting a separate small 3L cake on the side because appearantly the husband was the one insisting on the 3L. But it's her 6 year olds birthday and he wanted a toy story cake. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7

Better to lose a sale than make a cake that can only turn out badly and have an unhappy customer and possibly no reimbursement for your expenses. 

ladicakes Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Better to lose a sale than make a cake that can only turn out badly and have an unhappy customer and possibly no reimbursement for your expenses. 

That's the same thing I thought! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%