Box-Mix (Or Maybe Doctored Box-Mix) White Cake With Good Volume And "blank Slate" Flavor?

Baking By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 1 Apr 2013 , 6:53pm by -K8memphis

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 3

My strawberry marble cake recipe is based on a box-mix white cake as the starting point. For the first three iterations, I used the DH mix, egg whites only, as on the box, and yesterday, for Easter, I tried one with the BC mix, using the whole-egg option.

In every case, it seems like I get only about 2/3 of the volume I get out of the DH "spice" and "Swiss Chocolate" mixes. And it seems like the mix's own flavor (not even entirely sure what it is) somewhat veils the flavor of the strawberry extract in both the batters, and in the frosting, and the strawberry jam in the contrast batter and the frosting.

Any suggestions on how to improve the volume? I'd imagine that an appropriate "extender" recipe would give me more volume and dilute the mix's own flavor just a bit, thereby killing two birds with one stone, but what's an appropriate extender recipe for a white cake? And does using whole eggs instead of just the whites improve the volume? (I didn't see any significant yellowing from using whole eggs in the BC mix.)

As I recall, once, when I was quite a bit younger, I baked a cake from Bisquick, from a recipe that (I think) was on the box at the time, and was intended for shortcake-type desserts.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 3

to me strawberry is not an easy cake to make-- even strawberry cake mix tastes flukey to me--i like the flavor punch that strawberry jello infuses into a white cake mix--but i don't think you like jello...

and my only other observation is that cake mixes are like that--not created equal--should be consistent within each flavor but not between different flavors

so of course you  could just use more cake mix for bigger results

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 3

hey-- i just remembered something i used to do--i used to put a packet of dry dream whip* in every cake mix

yes--it was 4 eggs and beat it good like 3-4 minutes too--whatever water & oil required or a cup of water and a bit of oil

can't remember exactly on the water & oil but that really pumped up the volume and because it also ramps up the sugar it makes a finer cake crumb--a really nice result

i'd encourage you to try that and see how you like it--going toward the blank canvas idea

*you gotta look for it in the grocery store--maybe by the jello--maybe in the baking aisle--they hide it and maybe you might have to request them to get some--i know they still make it though

it's a box of two or three packets inside

also--lots of variations available if you google 'dream whip cake"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%