Lace Cake Help! Please!

Decorating By Meltyd Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 10:34pm by Poshcakes

Meltyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meltyd Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 13

AI'm doing a lace wedding cake at the end of this month, and I have no idea where to start. She doesn't want Cornelli lace, she wants something "delicate and elegant" her theme is vintage. I've looked at stencils but they all seem to be really bulky, my hands tend to shake a bit so I'm afraid of free handing it, but i could follow wa pattern scratched onto the cake. I've never done this before, please help! I've gotten in way over my head!

12 replies
Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 13

AHhmm well If you don't want to pipe it on the cake(there are a bunch of utube videos on it if you type it in) you can always get edible lace especially for cakes. It looks gorgeous too! Here's one of the many links I'd look at: http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/ Hope I helped and good luck!

TheSugarMice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarMice Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 13

You could try using Sugarveil? or check our Karen Davies' range of lace moulds that you can use to mould fondant and the wrap around the cake - these give a really realistic lace effect

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 13

Get a piece of real lace and emboss it onto your freshly-covered (sugarpaste/fondant) cake - press it in well with a smoother to give good definition then you can pipe over the markings with royal icing and use a damp paintbrush to stipple it to lose the neat lines.  If you paint over the dried piping with edible lustre it gives a lovely effect.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 13

AI've read on other post here that sugarveil is hard to work with in the beginning so not sure if that's the way you want to go unless you are experienced with it. I've never tried the link I'm gonna post but she does get the lace affect on her cake, however it does look like you would have to practice alittle bit doing it this way too m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=URr0z9GMbk0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DURr0z9GMbk0 Have you looked online a stenciled maybe you can find at delicate one there

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 13

ALace molds?

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 13

A[quote name="SugaredSaffron" url="/t/756348/lace-cake-help-please#post_7377730"]Lace molds?

Oh that might work or would they be to delicate and break a lot?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 13

I think that purchasing a lace mold would be your best bet.  There's so many on the market.  Check eBay.  If you go on Utube and key in lace mold there's probably hundreds of DIY videos to guide you.  If you just need markings in the fondant, and need something quick and cheap, visit the largest craft store you can find and go into their Cricut Machine and Martha Stewart aisles, there's a ton of things you can use to impress a design into the fondant then pipe over.  One thing I purchased today is a pretty scroll of very small glass beads mounted on a clear flexible backing so you can see where you're pressing it.  That's all I needed was some sort of a guide so that my design won't look wonky.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

AThis is very intricate but maybe something like this. It would be very time consuming. I personally would get sick of doing it. www.mycakedecoratingshop.co.uk/royal-lace-impression-mat

Meltyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meltyd Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 13

AThanks everybody! I found a really great stencil and I'm going to try that, wish me luck!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 10:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyd 

Thanks everybody! I found a really great stencil and I'm going to try that, wish me luck!

Do let us know which stencil that is and where you found it! Good luck!

Poshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poshcakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 13

Atry caljavaonline.com they have lace molds. It's really easy to work with just don't make your fondant to thin when you roll it out in the molds.

Poshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poshcakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 13

Atry caljavaonline.com they have lace molds. It's really easy to work with just don't make your fondant to thin when you roll it out in the molds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%