Spackle On A Dummy Cake??

Decorating By pieceofcake561 Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 2:29am by pieceofcake561

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 14
So I will be making a beach themed cake for my sister's wedding at the end of the month (April 20th). Since I will be in the bridal party, I am trying to get as much done for the cake ahead of time as possible. The wedding will be 100 people, however the cake will be 9 tiers. Therefore, only the bottom tier will be real cake and the rest will be dummy cake. My sister wants the cake to have no fondant, but instead wants buttercream with a textured design.  The cake will have orchids, miniature picket fences & graham cracker "sand"

- A photo of the cake design is attached along with a swatch of the texture she would like the entire cake to have -

I have heard that it is possible to use spackle on dummies and I am leaning towards doing this so that I can have the majority of the cake completed before any relatives start flying down.  I would ideally like to have the fake part of the cake completed by the end of this week or early next week. The problem... I have never worked with spackle in my life and have read on Cake Central about kinds that go from pink to off-white when they dry, that they may be the wrong consistency, I am worried the spackled cake won't look similar to the real bottom tier, etc.

I read on one thread that I should use a lightweight spackle so I know that much at least. Since there are so many different kinds of spackle, I was wondering if anyone who has done this in the past successfully could recommend a specific brand for me to use. The cake will be white (wedding white - not off white), beige, and a light blue. I have read about adding food coloring to the spackle, but couldn't I just use spray paint from hardware store once it has dried? I read about primers too, i guess if I used spray paint I would have to do a coat of primer as well?

Any and all recommendations would be SO greatly appreciated. Also, just to be certain, spackle dries rock hard correct? I am hoping so because this will make it much easier for me to transport.

Thank you all SO much for your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

This is the texture she wants for the entire cake.

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 14

why not just use royal icing--it's already nice & white and i would mist it with water after applying to get that texture with the spatula--done

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 14

K8 is right, RI works great for this. A big advantage is when you are finished, you can just wash the RI right off the dummies which can then be used for another project.  Right in your sink; no worries about clogging your drain, just use really hot water.  I would not recommend that with spackle!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 14

also -- you can sand it smooth ;)

pieceofcake561 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the replies! I am definitely open to using royal icing.  Will it hold up ok since I'm making it 3 weeks in advance? Also, reusing the dummies isn't a factor.  Since I'm in the wedding I've decided to just let the venue dispose of the cake at the end so I won't have to worry about it and can just enjoy the night with my sister.  I know indideby says her buttercream recipe hardens solid for displays. Would this be a good idea or is RI better? Thanks again! :)

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 14

yes--will hold up fine--treat it like a cake and keep it out of sun and weather of course

i'd use the royal myself because you can sand it to perfection

but i'm sure indy's icing would be great too

we only used buttercream to cover our dummies at one place where i worked

it has to be replaced more often than royal but three weeks typically is no problem

best baking to you!!! sweet labor of love for your sister!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 14

RI will last for quite awhile.  I still have a 3 tiered dummy cake that I made for a class in September last year.  I have a clear plastic bag over it to keep the dust off but it has held up great.

pieceofcake561 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:08am
post #8 of 14

Thank you both SO much! Super helpful info! You have definitely talked me out of my spackle idea lol.  Do you suggest any RI recipe in particular?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 14

well i think for cake covering i'd recommend using meringue powder royal icing

as opposed to egg whtie royal icing

i often use the joy of baking website to remind me of the formulas

of course the recipe's on the can of meringue powder too--that you can purchase at cake deco stores

and hobby lobby type stores

pieceofcake561 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 14

So I chose to use the royal icing for my dummies and actually got them all iced today! :D  The RI worked perfectly for what I needed and dried very hard.  I used Antonia74's royal icing recipe minus the cream of tartar (my Wilton meringue powder already contained cream of tartar).  Here's a pic of the results...

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 14

How did the RI hold up for you? I'm about to make a dummy also and was thinking about using spackle, but found this thread before I started.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 14

pieceofcake561: Spackle in a wedding shop display probably doesn't get snacked on. Spackle on a Wedding cake at an real live wedding, yuck. People, (& not just kids), have a huge tendency to put everything in their mouths. 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 14

AHahah!! Agreed..this is a dummy for an upcoming bridal show &I would like it to hold up for display afterwards. It's going to be covered in fondant but I read that spackle under fondant holds up better. Didn't know if that was an accurate statement or not.

pieceofcake561 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 2:29am
post #14 of 14

AThe royal icing held up perfectly. It went on easily and I had no issues w it at all. It also worked well to "glue" the tiers together. You can see the cake on my Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/MyCakeBakery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%