Bridal Fair: Show Off My Ribbons Or No?

Lounge By Elcee Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 12:27am by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, everyone...I need your opinion. I'm doing a Bridal Festival this weekend. I'm debating whether or not I should display the ribbons I've won at cake decorating competitons. If I do, I'd pin them to a ribbon or piece of fabric and hang it behind my booth, with my sign.

On the pro side, it does show that I'm good at this; they could bring more people to my booth and be a conversation starter; I know who enters the local cake decorating competitions and it's not anyone in business here in my city so it's something that's unique about me.

On the con side, is it over the top in "tooting my own horn", so to speak? I don't want to come across as bragging.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 7

AI've never done a bridal show so my opinion may not help but I think that's the place where you would want to toot your own horn. If you're worried about it just don't comment on the ribbons (false modesty :lol:) until a potential customer does.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7

AAbsolutely!!!

Almost every bakery website has an "accolades" or some such.

Be proud! You earned them! You aren't goin around telling everyone you are the best, you are displaying that you have been judged by others and found to be a superior artist.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7

show them off you earned them and its ok to toot your own horn :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 7

absolutely, elcee, display them with justifiable pride--the good kind

no dobuts--yes for sure--it helps to demonstrate your passion and focus--helps peeps to better understand who you are at a glance

yes of course you should ;)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7

There will be no one else there "tooting your horn", so of course you should!  Being a self promoter is hard for some people, but if you don't tell strangers how great you are, they might not know!  Good luck at your show!

Liz

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

Thanks, everyone! Decision made. I actually do have one of those "yay, me" pages on my website and I promote everything I can think of on my Facebook page; I also bill myself as an "award-winning cake decorator" so, really, this wouldn't be much different. Thanks for reminding me of that thumbs_up.gif!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%