Expert Pie Help Needed, Please!!!

Lounge By JGMB Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 6:51pm by saffronica

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 12:39am
post #1 of 5

I do everything according to directions when making a cream pie.  Like, I just made a Banana Cream with Meringue for Easter dinner.

It looked fine when I was making it -- the filling was a nice, thick consistency when it cooled in the pot after cooking on the stove.  I then spread it over the banana slices in the shell and chilled it for 2 hours.

I added the meringue, baked it, cooled to room temp, then popped it in the frig.  I thought it would be perfect.

Well, how embarrassed was I when I cut into it and found a bunch of liquid floating around?!!!  I quickly sucked about 1/2 cup out with my turkey baster, then was able to cut and serve the pie.

What am I doing wrong that makes a nice, thick filling turn into a runny mess?  HELP!

4 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:32am
post #2 of 5

Was your crust and filling cold before you made the meringue?  I make my filling the day before, put it in the refrigerator overnight.  Cover the filling directly with plastic wrap to prevent a hard film from forming.  The meringue can "weep" also.  The egg whites need to be very stiff and make sure that you add cream of tartar.

This happens.  There is a learning curve to meringue!  Keep trying.

JGMB Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much, LKing12!!  I'll follow all of your advice next time.icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5

Well, Lking12, your tips worked!!!  A friend asked me to make Gluten-Free Lemon Meringue pies for her son's rehearsal dinner.  I did just what you said and they turned out beautifully.  Thanks again!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 5

I can't claim to be an expert, since I've never actually used meringue on a pie. But I do a lot of reading, and my more trusted sources recommend that the filling be HOT when the meringue is added -- that way, it cooks from the bottom, not just the top. Cooking more evenly helps prevent weeping. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%