Baking Flat Cakes Instead Of Those Mountain-Top Domed Cakes?

Baking By justangelinaxo Updated 31 Mar 2013 , 2:22pm by denetteb

justangelinaxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justangelinaxo Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 4

I guess my question is in the title..and have you ever done the wet-towel thing before and had it come out successfully? I'm a bit scared of burning the house down..make that terrified. Someone said to fling it round a few times because of the centrifugal force or something, does that also work? And if I fling the cake round, rap it on the counter, use the wet towels, bake longer at a lower heat, rotate the cakes 20 minutes in...will my cake be level? I'm just being way too cautious aren't I? Just want to make sure that I have a flat cake coming out! What do you do to get your cakes out evenly? Thanks a ton, really appreciate all of your help! xo

3 replies
JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 4

AI personally have given up on baking a cake that does not have some sort of dome on top. Instead I line my pans with parchment paper that extends a couple of inches above the sides of the pan, fill the pan about 3/4 full, and bake at 325. It still has a small dome when it comes out of the oven but the parchment paper collar allows the cake to rise above the edges of the pan. I can then use a long bread knife to slice the top off letting the knife rest on the edge of the pad as I cut. I end up with up with a perfectly level cake and scraps that my family loves. HTH!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 4

AHomemade strips with a towel, flower nail for larger cakes, bake at 325 equals no dome for me.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 4

AI can give more info if you like later when I am on a computer, not phone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%