Strawberry Jam Filling Disaster?

Decorating By katie11 Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm by BakingIrene

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, here's the situation (no, my parents didn't just leave for a week's vacation) ...

I'm making a strawberry cake for Easter with a strawberry jam filling.  Directions were to mix 4 c. mashed strawberries with 2.5 cups sugar, and let sit 30 minutes, then boil for 5 minutes, then mix in 3 oz. strawberry jello and let sit.

I stupidly dumped the jello in BEFORE I boiled the strawberry/sugar mix.  Will it still set?  The thought of going back to the store for more strawberries makes me want to puke!

Thanks!

Katie

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

the jello is shot if you boiled it--no worries

you can thicken your filling by making a slurry of cornstarch (google-able)

you add that to the boiling mixture and continue to boil for two minutes stirring constantly from the bottom--other wise it does not thicken evenly

then plop a dollop on a saucer and put it in fridge for a few & if it the consistency is what you want when it cools off--great you're ok--if not then do another slurry

no extra charge for this part: two and a half cups of sugar to 4 cups of strawberries plus sweet jello is a tooth numbing sweet concoction <shudders> --an idea for you is add some lemon juice! omg icon_biggrin.gif

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I was wondering if corn starch would work!  You saved Easter!

p.s.  We like it sweeeeet!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie11 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I was wondering if corn starch would work!  You saved Easter!

p.s.  We like it sweeeeet!

you could not avoid it being sweeeeet ;)

the lemon will provide some balance--takes it up a notch--you won't even notice it srsly--think about it maybe for next time

hope it all works out for you!!!

sugar in this case is a liquid and strawberries are very watery so be generous with the slurry

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie11 

Ok, here's the situation (no, my parents didn't just leave for a week's vacation) ...

I'm making a strawberry cake for Easter with a strawberry jam filling.  Directions were to mix 4 c. mashed strawberries with 2.5 cups sugar, and let sit 30 minutes, then boil for 5 minutes, then mix in 3 oz. strawberry jello and let sit.

I stupidly dumped the jello in BEFORE I boiled the strawberry/sugar mix.  Will it still set?  The thought of going back to the store for more strawberries makes me want to puke!

Thanks!

Katie

Jello does have to be heated to near boiling to dissolve it properly.

I know this might be late...next time, what you do is you chill a quarter cup of your mixture on a small plate leaving the rest in the cooking pot.  If it sets then it's OK.  If it doesn't set then you can add either more jello or cornstarch/water. No need to waste the original fruit...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%