I want to make these particular cupcakes
for an upcoming mehndi party. I have the stencils, the hot pink fondant and even gold lustre dust and the Wilton gold spray.
So..today was test day,
Initially, I tried to see if I could just get the design on the fondant by spraying over the stencil, directly onto the fondant. HUGE MISTAKE -it was a watery mess. Plus I was using icing sugar under the fondant so this made a cloudy mess.
Next, I tried using cornstarch instead, to keep the fondant from sticking to the counter top. I then rubbed some margarine on the fondant and then applied the lustre dust over the stencil with a little paintbrush. This worked much better, but there was still some residual cornstarch. I also found that this method required quite a bit of lustre dust. I need to make 24 disks (at least) for the cupcakes and feel like I could easily go through an entire tube of Wilton lustre dust just to get a nice thick gold stencil, as in the picture.
Any ideas of a better way I could go about doing this? I have heard of people applying shortening to the brush's bristles, but wouldn't this "clog" up the brush between applications??
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I've never done this kinda thing before, but would painting a thin layer of piping gel on the surface before you spray work? it would only need to be enough to make it sticky. I could be totally wrong too! LOL good luck!
You could try mixing your luster dust with some vodka, or even with a vegetable oil, then applying it over the stencil using a flat sponge or stippling brush.
Another good method is using airbrush gold colour to similarly stipple the colour over the stencil.
OK so just to report back on my trial and error - today I slightly modified my plan of attack:
I sprayed margarine onto the disk and then tried the spray - again a big mess and I think spray just will not work on a stencil with fondant.
Then I tried mixing vodka with the dust, but this was even messier than the spray
I rubbed a little but of margarine (I didnt have any shortening) on the fondant disc. Then I rubbed a tiny bit of margarine on the paintbrush bristles. I dipped the brush into the gold lustre dust and then stippled over the stencil. I also took a tiny bit of dust on my finger and rubbed it into the stencils just to see how that would work. This method worked really well and I while the brush did not get clogged, I think after doing a few disks I would just clean it just to make sure the brush was clean enough to be effective. I wish I had an iPhone to post a picture! It looks beautiful!
I am still not sure if in the end I will need a ton of dust to get the job done, but this method works the best so far.
Thanks for your suggestions!
ANo worries, glad the oil route worked :-)