Looking For A Way To Fluff Up Vegan Cakes

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 4:19am by manicgeisha

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 1:31am
post #1 of 6

I've just taken the dive into Vegan cakes and love the results, with one exception.  Egg whites make cakes light and fluffy, without whites, Vegan cakes tend to be more brownie-ish.  Is there a product Vegans can eat that I can add to the cake to lighten it up or a method - like whipping more air into the batter - that you can think of.  Someone suggested an egg replacement called En-R-G but another vegan baker said that it contains everything already in the recipe.  Help!

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 2:05am
post #2 of 6

ACheck out the recipes in this book, most are plenty fluffy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

Ener-G egg replacer does not work well for cakes (except pancakes).

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 6:35am
post #3 of 6

i've found lighter recipes in the chocolate and red velvet recipes.  I still haven't found a white/yellow vegan cake with a tender and fine crumb.  

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:57am
post #4 of 6

Avegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/yellowcake.htm I just googled this recipe I've never tried it. Google. Light, fluffy vegan recipes and you get several ideas. You might have to go to a health food store to get egg replacements.

Paintedpinup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedpinup Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

AI use flax seed ground in place of eggs

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

http://www.ricardocuisine.com/recipes/4203-egg-dairy-and-nut-free-chocolate-cake

Egg replacer made with flax, it will totally remind you of egg whites when you make it.    I've had no trouble with crazy(or wacky)  cake type recipes.   They turn out definitely cake like and not a brownie.   I even have replaced the cocoa with lemon for a more "white" cake and it was also really good!  But I can't remember how much lemon juice and zest I used in place of the cocoa.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%