Buttercream... Is Not Working With Me..

Decorating By RiverSong39 Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 1:58am by RiverSong39

RiverSong39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RiverSong39 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 13

Why are all of my buttercreams not ending well? I am positive that i am doing everything right, i just can't seem to find a good recipe... I need much stiffer buttercream. It keeps melting or just sliding around (i'm not putting it on too soon) even when refrigerated? Can anyone at least give me some good buttercream recipes that STAY STIFF?

12 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 13

Please post the recipe you're using.

RiverSong39 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 13

It's just the usual confectioner's sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 13

ANot sure if you can get a so called Stiff buttercream using butter but maybe you don't have enough sugar in there we would need to know your ratio to ratio that you are using that's why we would need to know your recipe that you are using.

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 13

It's possible you are not whipping it long enough.  I whip mine for about 15 min. hard to say without the actual quantities. good luck

RiverSong39 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 13

Well, i kind of eyeball it, but it like 2 c. Confectioners sugar, 3 tbl. butter, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and 1 tbl. milk.

This may be wrong, it turn out fine until i pipe it on. Then it starts to sink into itself. All the pretty piping just seems to melt into itself.

RiverSong39 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 13

mind you, all my flavoured buttercreams are fine, it's just vanilla.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 13

AI've never seen a recipe so small but anyways it sounds like you would need more sugar in there to stiffen it up. Jmo

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 13

That doesn't sound right.  2 cups of confectioner's sugar to 3 tablespoons of butter will give you a crumbly mess.

Are you using a different recipe for your flavored buttercreams?  How are you flavoring them?  Maybe you need to use a recipe with measurements because that is definitely where you are going wrong.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

That doesn't sound right.  2 cups of confectioner's sugar to 3 tablespoons of butter will give you a crumbly mess.

Are you using a different recipe for your flavored buttercreams?  How are you flavoring them?  Maybe you need to use a recipe with measurements because that is definitely where you are going wrong.

This. You need to use an actual recipe, then if there are still the same issues, people here can give you real advice.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 13

The cupcakes in your avatar look good. What kind of frosting is that? The frosting looks firm enough to stay swirled on top of the cake. You mention it's just your vanilla frosting that's off...is that a different recipe than your other flavors? I start with a vanilla and add different flavors if I need to.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

The cupcakes in your avatar look good. What kind of frosting is that? The frosting looks firm enough to stay swirled on top of the cake. You mention it's just your vanilla frosting that's off...is that a different recipe than your other flavors? I start with a vanilla and add different flavors if I need to.

I am pretty sure that's just a picture of cupcakes OP thought were pretty, not ones she made. I am *almost* positive I have them on pinterest, lol.

RiverSong39 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 1:58am
post #13 of 13

Yeah, i REALLY need to get a real picture up of MY cupcakes... sorry about that. I just figured i would make it cupcakes, cause those are my specialty. And i DO make raspberry ones, it's just that i don't have a pic up yet. Working on it! Also, i found an excellent buttercream recipe on here that i am using now. Thanks so much to everyone's help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%