Frozen Buttercream Transfer. A Different Way?

Decorating By katie725 Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 8:01pm by BakingIrene

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! I've never tried a FBT but have done plenty of research and feel like I'm ready to try.  I was thinking though, has anyone ever tried to just trace the image as they see it rather than do it backwards and flip it onto the cake?

The image I was given is a little complex and I'm not super concerned with it being flat on the cake.  I think a little dimension is a good thing.  If I just trace it as I see it (and make sure it's thick enough), freeze it, and put it on the cake without any inverting or flipping ..do you think I'd have a disaster on my hands?  I'll be working on this tonight so any responses with tips or helpful hints are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 7

i mean if you can draw it on the cake--do it

but tracing and flipping it over gives you a chance to get the dimensions perfectly and then after flipping add more detail

if the picture has no words or anything you don't have to worry about the mirror image thing of course

and if you decide to draw it on the cake you can pat down the piping lines with a flat weave smooth brand new towel too

katie725 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 7

I wasn't going to free hand, I was definitely going to trace for dimension and detail purposes.  I was wondering if I could trace the picture, freeze and transfer to the cake without tracing it backwards and flipping.  The only reason I'm trying to think outside the box is because there are a lot of layers/colors and I know that when flipping the transfer that you have to consider layers and in which order to do them (for example, if there are eyes, you'd pipe the eyes first, not last).  ...know what I mean?

I may just stick to the conventional way since that is how the majority of the tutorials are shown.

Thanks for your input!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 7

you can pipe it, flip it and then add the eye detail

in the original piping just pipe in the eye sockets

flip it and place it on the cake then pipe in the pupils, eyelashes etc

use both to your advantage

you can do it the way you said too where you pipe it all on there and don't flip

sure--no wrong way--whatever way you like

katie725 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

I think I'll do one of each and see what I like best.  I'll update on here too if I get the chance.  I like the idea of flipping and adding all the details I was worried about after....but!....I also like the idea of not flipping at all!

Thanks for your help K8memphis !!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

anytime, Katie!!! we k8ts gotta stick together ;)

flipping the transfer pretty easy--srsly no worries

doing more than one is a perfect solution

yes all updates welcome

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 7

No need to flip if you want some relief.

Draw the image onto paper.  Put some bakers parchment over that on a large cookie sheet.  Do the outlines first. You will get a nice 2D effect when you pipe the fill-ins. 

When the transfer is solidly frozen, you can peel the parchment and put the transfer onto the cake same side up as you piped it.

I have done this for cartoon characters.  It works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%