Fondant Issues

Decorating By Susie0530 Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm by -K8memphis

Susie0530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie0530 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 11:49am
post #1 of 10

I was using Satin Ice Fondant on a cake last night.    I had to recover the cake three times because the fondant would keep developing dry spots (almost elephant skin) or tearing.   I was not even using any cornstarch when rolling out.   I kneaded it very well.    Why is it drying out so quickly?    I also added some Glycerine to try and make it more pliable.

Any suggestions or which fondant do you all recommend?  

Thank you for your help!

9 replies
cookielvr13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielvr13 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 10

ATry using a bit of shortening or placing it in the microwave for about 5 seconds at a time.

HTH

Cakesandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesandstuff Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 10

You might have kneaded it too much which causes it to lose its elasticity and makes it dry out.

Susie0530 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 10

Maybe I did knead it too much.  I was trying to get a rich purple.    I'll try it on something else and see if that might be the problem.   Thank you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 10

People have said that Satinice sometimes does that, so it might not have been anything you did. Were you adding food coloring into it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 10

it probably will be redeemable after it rests

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 10

I am a huge satin ice fan.   I buy Satin Ice purple, black, hot pink & brown.   Those 4 colors cause me to lose my religion when I try to make it. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I am a huge satin ice fan.   I buy Satin Ice purple, black, hot pink & brown.   Those 4 colors cause me to lose my religion when I try to make it. 

for real

and if those come out of the package too wet--i just let it sit out in the air for a few and that's enough drying it needs--for me anyhow

i basically never use cornstarch or anything to roll it out

i do use cornstarch kneaded in so it dries crisper like for making bows or something

sorry i got on a slight satin ice tangent ;)

Susie0530 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone!

Yes, I thought I was going to lose my religion last night!!!  :0    I will keep working with it and see what happens.  

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 10

i think i did a 'end of life' on this gigantic blob of incorrigible poop brown fondant right before it end of lifed me

then much later i came back to it for something else entirely and it was awesome

resurrected itself

maybe i used it bit by bit in some other fondant--it was not at all a total loss

a total nervous breakdown though ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%