How Long Can Cakes Be Frozen For?

Decorating By Peanut66 Updated 5 Apr 2013 , 4:34am by mizlila

Peanut66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut66 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 9:34am
post #1 of 11

How long is it safe to freeze cakes for? plain cakes no filling or crumcoating?

10 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 10:32am
post #2 of 11

AIt depends a bit on how airy the cake structure is. A light sponge cake I'd not freeze for more than a month, a dense mud cake probably 3 months, a fruit cake 6 months.

Ensure you wrap it, excluding all the air, in three layers of cling film, then 2 freezer bags. I also freeze spare cakes on a cardboard round or square to maintain its shape.

Peanut66 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 11

thanks

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 11

How long do you want to freeze it for?  I just put mine in a zip lock bag or a layer of saran wrap and call it done.  It will be just fine for several weeks at least.  They did a freezer test on the Wilton forums a few years ago and froze and store them in a freezer with absolutely no coverings and they were fine so personally I see no reason to use multiple layers of wrap. 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 11

Frozen layers -- typically, 6 months.  Fully decorated frozen 1st anniversary tiers -- 1 year (well wrapped).

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 12:59am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

How long do you want to freeze it for?  I just put mine in a zip lock bag or a layer of saran wrap and call it done.  It will be just fine for several weeks at least.  They did a freezer test on the Wilton forums a few years ago and froze and store them in a freezer with absolutely no coverings and they were fine so personally I see no reason to use multiple layers of wrap. 

Yes, I freeze all the time in one layer of wrap, and it's completely fine. More is a big waste of plastic.

Peanut66 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

How long do you want to freeze it for?   

Hi just a general enquiry as I work full time and only make for Family and friends. I just thought I could make cakes when i had time at the weekend and freeze so then when someone wants a cake and I am busy with work during the week i won't feel too stressed lol as i'll have the cake made and just need to decorate

denetteb Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 1:46am
post #8 of 11

AFreeze away, it will be perfect for what you have in mind. Bake on the weekend or whenever it works out for your schedule then finish up later. Make the buttercream ahead of time also.

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 3:34am
post #9 of 11

AIs anyone freezing cakes in your regular home freezer, with other food in it? If so, have you run into any issues with the cakes getting that 'freezer' taste or the taste of other foods after freezing for an extended period (more than a week or two)?

denetteb Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 3:49am
post #10 of 11

AI am just using a regular freezer, week or two or three or whatever. Normal food in the freezer. I made some graduation cakes that were frozen in several different freezers, all home ones, that were fully iced. Never have noticed a freezer taste. Just taste like yummy cake. But then I guess I don't notice a smell in my freezer. Just give it a try with a cake and see for yourself if you like it or not.

mizlila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizlila Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 4:34am
post #11 of 11

AThanks DennetteB! I'm always worried about that. My freezer doesn't really have a smell either, and I normally keep baking soda in it, but the last thing I'd want is to spend the time and ingredients on a couple cakes and have them not taste good when I'm ready to use them. :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%