How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By jessilachelle Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 2:47am by jessilachelle

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 1:24pm
post #31 of 69

AThis.^

The potential is there, but this cake just isn't up to snuff.

Nice colors and good idea, but very poor execution.

Keep practicing.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 1:51pm
post #32 of 69

A

Original message sent by tracyaem

To your original question, I would not charge for this cake (or only take $$$ for ingredients). Not because you are not legal/certified/etc - although all valid points. Apologies in advance if I sound harsh, but I don't think that is a professional level cake. There are a lot of bumps, rips, tears in the fondant and the balls are not uniform. The bow is also not fully dried and is kind of limp looking on the top. Don't get me wrong - it's a cute cake. But I don't think it's ready for sale just yet. Practice a few more times and you'll definitely be there. But for right now, if I was a customer and paid $4.50/serving I would have been disappointed.

I too was thinking this but didn't know how to say it , I would also add that the cardboard that the cake is placed on looks very unprofessional. So with this being said I would also agree that if I were a paying customer I would be alittle disappointed in the overall appearance of the cake. You say that you have gotten some inquiries about making this cake but are having problems coming up with a price for it , I believe if you told a paying customer that it would be even $3 a severing at however many severings that cake feeds than you probably wouldn't have many orders and one unhappily customer could turn you into the authorities and you would be in huge troble because you are illegal right now. All this being said I'm not trying to be mean it is a cute cake it just needs alittle tweaking.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 6:26pm
post #33 of 69

K8 - You're kindness and honesty are refreshing and I just want to say thank you. I have been lurking on this forum a very long time and I am grateful for what I have learned however, I do refrain from asking questions or opinions because this forum has become so... harsh.

To the OP - great cake! Don't let people distract you from your journey. I know my cakes aren't worthy of Kerry Vincent (yet) but I also know she didn't make amazing cakes out of the womb. Good luck!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 Mar 2013 , 8:28pm
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasan 

K8 - You're kindness and honesty are refreshing and I just want to say thank you. I have been lurking on this forum a very long time and I am grateful for what I have learned however, I do refrain from asking questions or opinions because this forum has become so... harsh.

To the OP - great cake! Don't let people distract you from your journey. I know my cakes aren't worthy of Kerry Vincent (yet) but I also know she didn't make amazing cakes out of the womb. Good luck!

Absolutely!  K8 is one of the nicest and kindest people on this forum.

jessilachelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessilachelle Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 12:36am
post #35 of 69

AOk so point A...there were no tears or rips in the fondant whatsoever. B i didn't charge anything for this as i said before. C...noone is calling anything inn about me not being legal because again as i said before in only doing it for family and they all know its not going to be perfect. And as for the bow, she didn't want it sitting straight up she wanted it laying ( don't ask me why ) and as for saying i shouldn't charge anything is stupid because i spend time, gas money to deliver and serve the cake not to mention my electric and water bill.

jessilachelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessilachelle Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 12:39am
post #36 of 69

AAnd also i may mention its just on a regular cake board. She called me up the day before the party and simply requested a zebra and pink cake. I had to deal with what i had at the house

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:01am
post #37 of 69

AI know it can sometimes be hurtful to hear criticism. Please know that most of the people here do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

I imagine you were trying to get an idea of what you could expect to charge or your cake. The kind way of rephrasing some of these comments is to say that you would be able to garage something but not yet charge what some professionals might charge.

Those of us who do charge spend a great time evaluating our expenditures, our skills, our time, & our market. There is no easy answer. Personally, my pricing starts at $4.50 per serving, but I have different skills and live in a different area from you.

I hope that you can take some of the comments the way that were meant...as constructive criticism.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:47am
post #38 of 69

A

Original message sent by jessilachelle

as for saying i shouldn't charge anything is stupid because i spend time, gas money to deliver and serve the cake not to mention my electric and water bill.

There are often additional costs involved in complying with the laws in your area that govern who can sell food to the general public (your county health dept should have more info), so these costs need to be taken into account when setting prices. If you stick to your own circle of friends and family that's one thing, but once you start accepting orders from parents of your friend's daughter's friends it is very important to have your ducks in a row.

It may seem stupid that you can't legally sell food to the general public without meeting health dept requirements, but that's the law. Many states have already passed cottage food laws that make these requirements much easier to meet. If your state does not have a cottage food law you can lobby your legislature to pass one.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:59am
post #39 of 69

CFL certifications are very easy to meet and not costly.  

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 1:58pm
post #40 of 69

I really wasn't trying to be harsh or mean and apologies if you took the criticism badly. I was actually trying to help you - sometimes it's hard to step away from a cake and see it with a fresh set of eyes. There's a "Peer Review" cake club thread where people go for feedback, maybe post this cake (or others you may have) on there and try and get some constructive feedback and learn. That's why we're on this site, right?

Passion is great and goes a long way, but (in my humble opinion) practice goes a lot further. For family and friends we can get away with cakes that aren't perfect. For a random stranger paying $4+ per serving, they will expect more. That's the message I was trying to get across. I think you have some talent and with a bit of practice you can sell cakes and do great at it. But I also think that the cake in the picture attached is not quite ready for sale yet. Keep working at it, get legal, and you will do fine!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:08pm
post #41 of 69

AHow much you can charge per serving as a business depends on your expenses and what your general area will pay. That kind of info is what a business plan is for.

How much you can charge friends/family depends on your relationship with them. The likelihood is that if you charge them full bakery price, they'll expect full bakery service, refund policy included, and will be a lot less forgiving and a lot more demanding.

It's no good someone telling you that you should charge anyone who wants the cake $300, if none of them would even be willing to pay that. You have to decide what you think is a fair and reasonable price based on your expenses, and how much you think they'd be willing to pay.

Mel120291 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel120291 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:35pm
post #42 of 69

Charge $40 and call it a day!  Geesh!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 2:40pm
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel120291 

Interesting. Wondering where you got this number or if you're just being sarcastic? $40 would be severely undercharging for 30 servings of cake, regardless of design. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:08pm
post #44 of 69

A

Original message sent by LoveMeSomeCake615

Interesting. Wondering where you got this number or if you're just being sarcastic? $40 would be severely undercharging for 30 servings of cake, regardless of design. 

April Fool's maybe? :-D

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 3:53pm
post #45 of 69

A

Original message sent by tracyaem

I really wasn't trying to be harsh or mean and apologies if you took the criticism badly. I was actually trying to help you - sometimes it's hard to step away from a cake and see it with a fresh set of eyes. There's a "Peer Review" cake club thread where people go for feedback, maybe post this cake (or others you may have) on there and try and get some constructive feedback and learn. That's why we're on this site, right?

Passion is great and goes a long way, but (in my humble opinion) practice goes a lot further. For family and friends we can get away with cakes that aren't perfect. For a random stranger paying $4+ per serving, they will expect more. That's the message I was trying to get across. I think you have some talent and with a bit of practice you can sell cakes and do great at it. But I also think that the cake in the picture attached is not quite ready for sale yet. Keep working at it, get legal, and you will do fine!

I completely agree with this post, I wasn't trying to be mean was simply saying I don't feel that the cake that you posted would bring in the amount of money that you feel is a fair price. Most people who don't do cakes have absolutely no idea how much work and time that goes into a cake however once you start charging they do become more demanding even if they are family. I don't feel that the peer cake club would be the way to go, I've noticed not many people respond to that thread anymore. Again I don't mean to be harsh but I personally don't feel that it fair to charge much more for this particular cake than just what you put into it so you would have to figure everything that you put into it with the thought of remembering that again most people don't know how much work goes into a cake. Yes your family members will be more forgiving than a nonfamily member and you may get your feelings hurt if someone says to you that a cake that you made isn't worth the amout that you think that it is. Again I do apologize I wasn't trying to be mean or harsh I just feel that you should be prepared that people might question where you got your pricing from. Again I'm not trying to be mean or harsh and I do apologize but in the industry of selling cakes you are gonna have to have a thicker skin when it comes to selling your cakes you will eventually run into people who will question your pricing even if the cake is perfect. Again I am sorry I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 4:09pm
post #46 of 69

A

Original message sent by Mel120291

This is to low of a price I'm sure you put more money into the cake than $40.

Mel120291 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel120291 Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 5:11pm
post #47 of 69

Charge $135 then ($4.50 x 30)... She was trying to get suggestions for a price for the cake and she got RIPPED UP and the forum went to a whole different level.  Great info in the forum but reading the post I was like WOW can the girl get an answer to her question?  I tell you what I wouldnt pay $135 for THAT CAKE!  Clearly she's a beginner and was inquiring as to what she should charge (as a BEGINNER).  I dont see a problem with being in and around that price.... $40-70.  When I started out, I sold family members cakes for $40/$50 (because that's my family) and I was trying to get my product out there to their friends.  So sometimes you have to sacrifice and reap the benefits later.  Anyway happy baking!

jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:18pm
post #48 of 69

A

Original message sent by Mel120291

Charge $135 then ($4.50 x 30)... She was trying to get suggestions for a price for the cake and she got RIPPED UP and the forum went to a whole different level.  Great info in the forum but reading the post I was like WOW can the girl get an answer to her question?  I tell you what I wouldnt pay $135 for THAT CAKE!  Clearly she's a beginner and was inquiring as to what she should charge (as a BEGINNER).  I dont see a problem with being in and around that price.... $40-70.  When I started out, I sold family members cakes for $40/$50 (because that's my family) and I was trying to get my product out there to their friends.  So sometimes you have to sacrifice and reap the benefits later.  Anyway happy baking!

OP received a variety of helpful responses based on different opinions and experiences, none of which were personal attacks. Coming up with a random price and offering that as a solution is not as helpful, since it's possible that $4.50/serving will either be too high or too low for OP's market and cost structure. Or it could be spot on, we just don't have enough information about the local market or OP's costs to make that determination.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:20pm
post #49 of 69

AWow your post is very mean and harsh as your first post was. She never said in her first post that she was a beginner and almost never do you get a straight answer on here when you post about pricing on a cake you almost always get Jason or someone else telling you to add everything up and go from there. We at least posted why we wouldn't pay for her cake she than got very defensive and we apologized and explained why we wouldn't pay for her cake. She clearly feels that she should charge for her overhead of her kitchen and I personally don't think she should charge for that just for the simple reason that she's not licensed yet coming on here and saying she's not licensed she's gonna get feedback from us. No I wouldn't pay $135 for her cake but at least I told her why, your first post just said charge $40 and call it a day your bound to get feedback on such a post. Have alittle tact at least.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 6:37pm
post #50 of 69

ANever thought I would say this But thanks for the defense Jason

DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 7:33pm
post #51 of 69

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

OP received a variety of helpful responses based on different opinions and experiences, [B]none of which were personal attacks[/B].

[B]Coming up with a random price and offering that as a solution is not as helpful,[/B] since it's possible that $4.50/serving will either be too high or too low for OP's market and cost structure. Or it could be spot on, we just don't have enough information about the local market or OP's costs to make that determination.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 7:55pm
post #52 of 69

AI was addressing the post, not the person.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:12pm
post #53 of 69

A[quote name="jason_kraft" url="/t/756236/how-much-would-you-charge-for-this-cake/45#post_7377680"]I was addressing the post, not the person. Are you addressing me or the other post?

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:14pm
post #54 of 69

A[quote name="jason_kraft" url="/t/756236/how-much-would-you-charge-for-this-cake/45#post_7377680"]I was addressing the post, not the person.

Are you addressing me or the other post?

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 8:48pm
post #55 of 69

AI do not feel like I attacked the OP personally she did take it personal and I than apologized and explained myself why I personally wouldn't pay top dollar for her particular cake that she posted. She is just starting out so I don't feel that she can compare her cakes to a professionals cake that brings in anywhere from $3 to $6 a severing depending on where she lives and the market that she's targeting Like Jasons stated simply throwing out a price isn't very helpful. I on most occasions don't agree with Jason post but in this instance I feel that he is spot on.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 9:53pm
post #56 of 69

A

Original message sent by kazita

Are you addressing me or the other post?

Sorry...I was replying to DeliciousDesserts, normally I would have quoted it but that post had no content.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:01pm
post #57 of 69

AMe? Really? I thought for a minute you meant me, but realized you couldn't possibly.

I was quoting you because you are absolutely correct. I bolded the important, relevant points.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:08pm
post #58 of 69

A[quote name="DeliciousDesserts" url="/t/756236/how-much-would-you-charge-for-this-cake/45#post_7377731"]Me? Really? I thought for a minute you meant me, but realized you couldn't possibly.

I was quoting you because you are absolutely correct. I bolded the important, relevant points.

Oops just a simple misunderstanding than, I too wasn't sure how to take your previous post but only because Jason took offense to it, I think not sure.

kazita Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:10pm
post #59 of 69

AThis thread has really taken a off the beaten path to it only a matter of time before its locked.

jason_kraft Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 10:17pm
post #60 of 69

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Me? Really? I thought for a minute you meant me, but realized you couldn't possibly.

Got it. I thought you were implying that saying a certain type of post is not as helpful as other types of posts is a personal attack...stranger things have happened here. Sorry for the mix-up. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%