Camo Cake Questions???

Decorating By jessilachelle Updated 22 Jun 2013 , 3:58am by southconft

jessilachelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessilachelle Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 14

i have a bride that wants this cake in september. i realize it looks like its probably airbrushed (seeing as i dont have an airbrush machine i have to get creative) i was thinking just getting some color powder and brushing it on with a paintbrush. Do you think that would work? and also she dosent like most fondants. but she loves modeling chocolate.  i know it would be more difficult to cover a cake in it but i know its possible. but anyone have any ideas/really good fondant recipes like a white fondant recipe that tastes similar to white modeling chocolate?

13 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 14

AI've never made it but have read on here that michelle fosters fondant recipe is really yummy plus I have read that you can add a cup of white chocolate to a fondant recipe but again I've never tried this only read it on the threads here so hopefully someone will chime in and let you know for sure

jessilachelle Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 14

Yes i made a white chocolate marshmallow fondant she wasnt too fond of it she really likes the modeling chocolate haha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 14

i vote for modeling choco because you can cover in the brown then attach the lighter color areas and hide the seams with the warmth of your fingertips

plus the dusting you said--would be perfect i think--and it would handle all the carve-y bark-y places

modeling chocolate is easier than fondant--it does not stretch like fondant but you can manipulate it much more easily

and like i said you can patch where you need to and erase the seams no problemo

kazita Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 14

AYeah looking close up at that cake it looks like its covered in chocolate anyways

jessilachelle Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 14

and the color dust will attatch well to modeling chocolate like it does fondant?

kazita Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 14

Acakecentral.com/t/645906/modeling-chocolate-to-cover-cake. Make sure to charge enough for your cake this thread here says its very expensive to cover a cake with modeling chocolate much less a whole wedding cake

jessilachelle Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 14

yea i know im just starting out and i told her i would try it for her before her wedding and if she dosent like it she has another one lined up for me thats really simple but id really like to nail this one and make her a happy bride. and its for my portfolio so im charging under half of what she would spend, just because im new. i just need to make sure i make what i spend 3 fold and ill be happy.

connie9003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie9003 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:36am
post #9 of 14

AWhy not just do it in frosting ?? It doesn't look like a hard cake. I would use a tip 9 and just start filling it in. Then you could use fondant to just do the leaves. Once the frosting fries you could pat it down if you wanted a flatter look but camo isn't really uniform or flat so that's what I would do. I do camo cakes/borders with reg frosting all the time with never a complaint.

jessilachelle Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:51am
post #10 of 14

AYes I've done regular camo in buttercream but this looks different. idk how i would get the colors to blend like that.

connie9003 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:58am
post #11 of 14

AI would put your gray on first then add a light amount of green and "smear" it in with your pointed spatula

connie9003 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:00am
post #12 of 14

AI keep loosing my post so if I put a few replies I'm sorry it's like saving your work before your pc crashes lol, any way use a stiffer frosting so it dries quicker then after it dries pat it flat with wax paper or VIVA paper towels then you can lightly press in your lines if you want to

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessilachelle 

and the color dust will attatch well to modeling chocolate like it does fondant?

it's a different type surface but yes it does adhere

when you get a chance--make some and see what you think

southconft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southconft Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 3:58am
post #14 of 14

AHey hw did this cake go I just got a order for this on a smaller size the grooms cake???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%