Fondant "panty Line" Crease Help!!!!

Decorating By Cristina100 Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 2:41am by kazita

Cristina100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristina100 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

I make cakes mainly using fondant, but I always get that so called "Panty Line" Crease in between layers of cake. Does anyone know how I can eliminate that or tell me what I'm doing wrong? I almost don't want to make cakes anymore because it's so noticable. please HELP !!!!!

5 replies
annaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annaecakes Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a picture of the "panty line" crease?  I would say it probably has something to do with how you are icing or filling the cake before you put the fondant on.  Perfect fondant needs to have a perfectly smooth layer of icing underneath.  Here is a great icing basics video from Amanda Oakleaf Cakes 

.  The only other thing I would say is to make sure your cakes are refridgerated and firm before you apply the fondant.  Happy Caking!

danyag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danyag Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 6

I found out a couple of things that I started doing and haven't had that problem since (thanks to lots of reading on here!).  

First, if you're putting anything but a layer of buttercream between layers, make the dam of buttercream to hold it it BUT don't make the dam right at the edge of the cake...set it back about 1/2 an inch.  That way when the layer on top settles, it can squish out and not look weird.

Second, don't try to stack too many layers without a support in between.  I'm not a professional or anything so this is just what I've found...two regular layers, even torted can support themselves, but more than that (again, in my opinion) starts to be too heavy.

Thirds, once you stack the cakes (only putting in the dam and the filling) let it sit for a least a few hours, if not overnight so that everything can settle.  Then, when you go to frost it fill in the "crack" between layers first and then frost like normal (top, then sides, then smooth it out).

Hope that helps, good luck!!icon_biggrin.gif

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

AYes it sounds like your dam is pushing out and causing a bulge . Make sure to put your dam in a good half of a inch from the outer edge of your cake than after you get all the buttercream on the cake put a weight on top of your cake so that your cake settles by a weight I mean a book or a ceramic tile used just for this purpose let the cake settle for a few hours or better yet in the frig overnight . Hopefully this helps your problem. And you had me roaring with the way you described it "panty line crease" to funny! You did get your point across we knew what you meant

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:59am
post #5 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/t/633571/my-newest-trick

btw, cake doesn't settle while cold in the refrigerator.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 2:41am
post #6 of 6

AOops don't put it in the frig

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%