Still Confused About Ganache On Cakes?

Decorating By Aurora42196 Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 9:42pm by kikiandkyle

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 13

AHello bakers :)

I've heard that some of you use ganache to crumb coat your cakes and love it. But I'm not sure I understand after the crumbcoat. Do you just decorate with butter cream over the ganache or do you just continue to use ganache to decorate a buttercream cake? I know you can use fondant over with different accents but I'm not sure where to go as far as buttercream cakes.

also, do you also fill with ganache or can you use a filling and use ganache to crumb coat?

Thank you all in advance, happy baking :)

12 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 13

Mostly people use a full coat of ganache under fondant, not decorated with buttercream.

I've put fondant accents on a full coating of dark chocolate ganache, which ws fine.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:29am
post #3 of 13

Hi Aurora4216,

Ganache is awesome, so lovely and chocolately tasting and sets up nice and firm so you can get really smooth sides and edges.  You can use just ganache for crumb coat, filling and covering your cake if you want to.  But you could also use another filling and just crumb coat/cover your cake in the ganache. 

For example:  I'm doing a wedding cake this weekend and will be using milk choc ganache as the filling and covering for the bottom chocolate tier.  For the middle vanilla tier I'll be using a vanilla bean creme patissiere filling and then covering with white choc ganache.  And then covering everything with a yummy white belgian choc paste in a 50/50 mix with ivory fondant. 

Hope that helps!   icon_smile.gif

Aurora42196 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 7:05am
post #4 of 13

AThanks for the info guys :) actually, I made angry birds cake for my nephews that was filled and crumb coated with semisweet ganache and decorated with vanilla buttercream and they LOVED it! It was actually an experiment (with family guinea pigs ;)) I didn't taste it so I was just wondering has anybody done this. But what if you didn't want that chocolate taste? Would you just use buttercream?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 9:48am
post #5 of 13

White chocolate ganache is pretty plain tasting. You can flavour it too - either by flavouring the cream with extracts or liqueurs while it's heating, or just with an extract once it's all mixed up.

Aurora42196 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 13

AThanks for the insight mcaulir. I haven't had the chance to try out white chocolate ganache. If anything I thought it would be really rich like most white chocates. Good to know :)

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 13

AWhat type of chocolate should you use under fondant? Can I use white? Can I use the Hershey's milk chocolate or does it have to be baker's cbocolate? I havr watched cakes by michelle and learned a lot but she doesn't specify. Please help. Need to cover a 6, 8, 10 in soon with genache then fondant over that.

Aurora42196 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 13

AWith the angry birds cake I made I used toll house semisweet chips and it came out beautifully! I haven't made white chocolate ganache before but if I were to try it, I would try white chocolate chips or Plymouth Pantry brand from Walmart. It's pretty good and they sell the bark year round. Hth ;)

soldiernurse Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 13

thankyou!!  what is an almond bark and what is it used for?

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 13

Soldiernurse what country are you in? 

Aurora42196 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 13

AIf you're referring to the Walmart brand that's called plymouth pantry almond bark, don't sweat it. That's just the name of the brand! It sounds weird but its just good ole milk and white chocolate. ;)

soldiernurse Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 13

USA, Georgia

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 13

Almond bark is just candy coating, you can find it in the baking aisle at your grocery store with the baking chocolate. The reason I asked where you are is some things are known by different names in different countries, it's confusing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%