Question/advice

Business By tink986201 Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 5:28pm by tink986201

tink986201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tink986201 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 6

My mom recently came across a person who was advertising for business on craigslist.

*My family and I are planning on moving to a different state, so my mom was showing me cake businesses in that state so I know a ballpark on what to charge for my cakes when we move.

When she showed the person to me I noticed that some of the pictures that she was using were not hers. One of them was actually Bakerella's. My question is what would you guys do? I know I should tell the other people that she's claiming their work but at the same do I tell her or do I say anything to her? 

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

it's up to you

for myself--i don't necessarily feel the need to police the planet--i got enough on my hands to deal with without stirring up nonessential drama not to mention it being someone else's

if it's a serious safety issue sure

dumb pictures--not me

some peeps do

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

AIf you know who owns the copyright on the pictures I recommend contacting the copyright owner(s) and letting them know what's going on (if someone was stealing your pictures, you'd probably want to know). Other than that, all you can really do is flag the CL posting, since copyright law only allows the infringed party to file a complaint.

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 6

This happened to me. Someone told me that another site was using my picture and claiming it as theirs. I was grateful to be told so I could get them to take it down. I looked further into it and the cakes they designed themselves were not good.

So if you know the person or have seen their work, I would tell them.icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

Well, if you're sure it's Bakerella's picture, contact Bakerella for sure.  It may not bother her too much, as she generously shares her work with everyone online and in books.  I pity the person who advertises with pictures of someone else's work...because most likely they can't duplicate it!

tink986201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tink986201 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys for the advice! I ended up flagging the post, I'm going to try and contact the other person to let her know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%