Gelatin Question

Decorating By eava Updated 28 Mar 2013 , 10:50pm by BakingIrene

eava Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to make something that will mimic organza and I was wondering if I can take the mixture for gelatine butterflies add some luster dusts so it has the right sheen, let it dry in a thin sheet and then drape it, or will it be too brittle once dry?  Can it be softened with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so I can shape it?  I'm trying to get the effect of a train on a wedding dress.

2 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 3

what about making a mold and apply the gelatin to the mold then let it dry in the shape you want the final product to look like

BakingIrene Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eava 

I am trying to make something that will mimic organza and I was wondering if I can take the mixture for gelatine butterflies add some luster dusts so it has the right sheen, let it dry in a thin sheet and then drape it, or will it be too brittle once dry?  Can it be softened with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so I can shape it?  I'm trying to get the effect of a train on a wedding dress.

Get sheet gelatine.  Soak it in water and shape it to the final shape on a form.  Let it dry and then brush with luster dust.

Sorry but gelatine has to be soaking wet to be soft.  Otherwise it's very brittle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%