Gluten-Free Lemon!

Baking By tlcbakery Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 1:10am by Baking Queen

tlcbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcbakery Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have a yummy recipe for a gluten-free lemon cake?  I have a go-to vanilla recipe that I use for gluten-free orders, but I'd like to try something new! 

Thanks!

10 replies
verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 11

HI there, i have never made a gluten free cake but i have an order for this weekend and have no idea how to make it. I have been looking for recipes on line but i get confused. I need to make a vanilla gluten free cake, could you pass me your vanilla gf recipe or tell me where i can find one. Can i just replace some of the ingredients from my regular recipes to make them gluten free.

Thanks,

Veronica

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 11

A

Original message sent by tlcbakery

Does anyone have a yummy recipe for a gluten-free lemon cake?  I have a go-to vanilla recipe that I use for gluten-free orders, but I'd like to try something new! 

There are several good GF lemon cake recipes available online, here is one: http://www.positivelymommy.com/2013/03/gluten-free-lemon-cake-recipe/

jason_kraft Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 11

A

Original message sent by verosuperstar

HI there, i have never made a gluten free cake but i have an order for this weekend and have no idea how to make it. I have been looking for recipes on line but i get confused. I need to make a vanilla gluten free cake, could you pass me your vanilla gf recipe or tell me where i can find one. Can i just replace some of the ingredients from my regular recipes to make them gluten free.

You can start by looking online, but if you've never done GF baking before you will need to experiment with different flour mixes to find something that works for you. You also need to make sure you organize your baking and decorating processes to avoid cross contamination with gluten (including waiting at least 24 hours after non-GF flour has been airborne), as well as contacting the suppliers of your ingredients to ensure they do the same.

If you are not confident that you can do this safely in time for the order, I strongly recommend finding an established gluten-free baker in your area to take the order or cancelling it outright.

tlcbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcbakery Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 1:06am
post #5 of 11

Hi Veronica,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was working on a wedding cake!  But I agree with jason_kraft, I had to do some experimenting with GF recipes before I was really confident in baking them for purchase.  The various flours you can use will give different textures and consistencies and it just depends what you're going for.  Most grocery stores will have a GF flour blend that is pretty decent and will give you a fairly good finish if you don't want to come up with your own combo.  However you do need to be careful with unknowingly introducing any gluten into the area in which you will be baking so there is no contamination. 

I know this wasn't in time for your order, but I hope it helps for the future!

Jessica

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you both for the information.

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

Does anyone know the flours you have to combine in order to succeed in an all-purpose flour mix? i have been trying to research but haven't gotten very far. I don't want to give up my baking passion just from being gluten free, but i may have to as i am stuck. I think you have to have an equal amount of starches per different flour? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:}

jason_kraft Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 11

A

Original message sent by Baking Queen

Does anyone know the flours you have to combine in order to succeed in an all-purpose flour mix? i have been trying to research but haven't gotten very far. I don't want to give up my baking passion just from being gluten free, but i may have to as i am stuck. I think you have to have an equal amount of starches per different flour? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:}

We use white rice flour, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum in our GF flour mix for cakes. The mix contains more of the first two ingredients than the last two.

Baking Queen Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:47am
post #9 of 11

AThanks so much Jason that is a great blend of flours! I can't tolerate sorghum flour Unfortunatly so will see if I can replace that.

jason_kraft Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 12:50am
post #10 of 11

A

Original message sent by Baking Queen

Thanks so much Jason that is a great blend of flours! I can't tolerate sorghum flour Unfortunatly so will see if I can replace that.

Amaranth flour should be a good substitute for the sorghum.

Baking Queen Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 1:10am
post #11 of 11

AWhat a brilliant idea I have actually heard of amaranth flour! Thanks for all your help you are very knowledgable in the gluten free field!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%