Imbc Tasting Like Whipped Butter

Business By Cyndibear 08 Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 1:45am by LoveMeSomeCake615

Cyndibear 08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndibear 08 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 18

AI recently made a cake for as friend using Warren Brown's IMBC. Made 2 batches because my KA mixer is small. 1 with unsalted butter and the other with salted. She claimed it tasted like I whipped butter and slathered the cake with it. Ugh, guessing I should have asked her if she wanted Crisco and powdered sugar or a meringue buttercream. My gripe is everyone wants that supermarket cake and icing. If that's what your expectations are then go to a supermarket.

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 18

i don't know--i have a boat load of butter in my smbc and i've never heard anyone say it's too buttery--not that that proves anything but i never heard that comment and my son was a chef--he woulda let me have it!

but how much flavoring did you have in it???

i use one tablespoon of vanilla to 1 & 1/3 cup butter and 3 egg whties

often the amount of vanilla or flavoring used seems to offset the too much butter complaints

just a thought

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 18

It does taste like whipped butter!  My recipe calls for 6 sticks of butter, but I only add 4.  It's still buttery, but much better.  Also, add lots of good quality flavor - even if it's just vanilla.  Seriously, cutting down on the butter doesn't affect the stability, and it tastes much better!

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 18

ANot sure what your ratios are, but for SMBC which is similar to IMBC (I think). I use the 1:2:2 ratio instead of 1:2:3 which is eggs:sugar:butter. It doesn't affect the stability as mentioned above but does make it taste better, I actually forgot to add vanilla once and everyone still loved the taste.

Cyndibear 08 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 18

AI did add vanilla, about 2 tsp....I used it on my son's birthday cake. Everyone loved it. Although everybody I know is so stuck on this generic box mix, icing from a can or flash frozen cake and a block of mix n frost...not that that is awful. Open your eyes and see how great other things are. My fiance hates icing, but loved the IMBC. It was 5 egg whites, 1 & a quarter cup sugar, quarter cup water, a pound of butter and 2 tsp vanilla. I love it...to each his own :)

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 18

I make my cake and icings from scratch...im not a huge fan of smbc or imbc.  I can understand why some people don't like it.  When I want something sweet, I want it sinfully sweet.

for those who don't like basic American buttercreams, I usually throw a block of softened cream cheese in with my American buttercream recipe and it cuts some of the sweetness and adds a little tang.  

As many scratch cupcakes and icings that I do, I still love Kroger's (grocery store) pre made buttercream, lol.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 18

It's a matter of taste - I've come to appreciate SMBC over time but when I first made it I couldn't understand the appeal of eating what tastes and feels like whipped butter. My British husband hates it, but all my American friends have raved over every cake that's had it on. Some people love butter, some people don't. It's not about being uneducated or unwilling to try anything that's not from a box. 

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 18

Once, I accidentally picked up salted butter rather than unsalted.  I found the salted IMBC had a much more buttery taste and it took TONS of vanilla to flavor the icing.  

I also like to add melted white chocolate to my prepared IMBC.   Yum!  

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 18

I will say that I prefer IMBC on things like whoopie pies.  I'm making some imbc and whoopie pies as we speak (er type)

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 18

AI guess it's just matter of personal taste, I find American buttercream too sweet for my liking and I hate making it seeing all that powdered sugar go everywhere. My favourite icings are chantilly cream or crème pâtissier but since they're perishable fillings I don't really use them. But yes I agree it's just a matter of personal taste what one might not like another will love. Don't be disheartened by the comments.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 18

Both SMBC and IMBC taste better when eaten at room temperature.  If you can't wait and eat a cupcake straight out of the fridge, the icing is more like chilled butter.  8 seconds in the microwave makes a world of difference.  A large chilled cake can take a couple of hours to get to the right temperature.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 18

I think that anytime you make it with salted butter it is going to overwhelm the sweetness of the BC. For one thing, there is no standard measurement for the amount of salt from one brand to the next.  Secondly, you can use up to 6 oz of flavoring in a 4 cup batch of IMBC, so it's possible you could have added more vanilla for a stronger/sweeter flavor.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 1:59am
post #13 of 18

I have found that the tides are turning with my requests for ABC to SMBC.  And I will also do combo cakes with the SMBC mixed with fruit as a filling and the ABC on the exterior simply for the versatility for being outdoors (any SMBC cake must be kept inside due to the non-crusting prop and elements).  At tastings I will present the two options for the buttercream.  

When making a salted caramel SMBC, I will add in up to 1.5 cups of powder sugar to a recipe that calls for 1 lb of butter to balance and help sweeten up the caramel. 

Cyndibear 08 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 1:10am
post #14 of 18

Thank you for your help and comments. Guess I'll stick with american buttercream and give them an option for IMBC and a description of all I know how to make and offer.princess.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 6:10am
post #15 of 18

And don't forget to increase the amount of vanilla extract, it makes a HUGE difference. On average about 1-2 Tablespoons of high quality real vanilla extract is what I've seen used by MBC cakers.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

And don't forget to increase the amount of vanilla extract, it makes a HUGE difference. On average about 1-2 Tablespoons of high quality real vanilla extract is what I've seen used by MBC cakers.

yes what vg says

and cutting back on the butter is not necessarily the right direction to eliminate the overly buttery quality imo

what i'm getting at is this--if you beat cream just a tad too long it becomes butter--something completely different

so when you are making a meringue buttercream you are bringing these ingredients together to become something else entirely

it's not the same as pulling back on the fat in an amercian buttercream for example~

i hope everyone makes it as written at least once and corrects the amount of flavoring before 'correcting' the butter

and be sure you are cooking the meringue right too or the butter will have no where to go to become something else but on the taste bud

don't tweak the butter to matchy match the vanilla --tweak the vanilla to matchy match the batch of icing

you want all that buttery lightness imo

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:14pm
post #17 of 18

Also remember to let it come to room temp, if it is cold you will taste mostly the butter but once at room temp "Delish" icon_biggrin.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 1:45am
post #18 of 18

Also, American Buttercream doesn't HAVE to mean shortening. We use all butter in our ABC and people love it. It IS still really sweet, but at least it has the rich taste of butter to balance out the sugar. We also use half salted butter or use a pinch of salt, which also cuts the sweet of it and gives it some savor. 

I don't care for SMBC or IMBC myself, but to each his (or her) own! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%