Can Fondant Be Placed Over Caramel Frosting?

Decorating By Nubianisme Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm by HamSquad

Nubianisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nubianisme Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

Want to make a yellow cake with caramel frosting but decorate using fondant. Is caramel to soft to support the fondant. Tks. 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 5

probably too soft

just depends on the exact caramel and the exact decor and placement

usually caramel frosting is pretty soft though

so if you just put something on top and did a bottom border--probably would be fine

but if you decorate the sides it might slide

and why not test it

make some caramel and put some decor in it and see what happens--it might break it down--maybe maybe not

if the caramel comes out more like candy than icing should be fine

if it comes out like icing...

Nubianisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nubianisme Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks bunches for your reply!!!

I will try tomorrow but didn't want to waste the ingredients(sp) if it was a known no. The only deco will be rhinestone ribbon along the bottom 2 tiers of the cake.

met2906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
met2906 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

If you have problems with the sides, you could always use the caramel as a filling and on top for the flavor with your regular on the sides.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 5

AIt depends on the type of recipe you make for the caramel frosting. I make mine from scratch. If it is the poured tpye of caramel icing you may have a problem. If it is a recipe that requires powder sugar and it whips up like frosting, you might have a better chance of it working. Also make sure your fondant decorations are not real thick. Thinner, smaller decorations may work a lot better. I hope everything works out well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%