Help! What The Heck Is Canned Flaked Coconut?

Baking By rica827 Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm by rica827

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have a recipe that calls for a 3 oz CAN of flaked coconut. I've been to three different grocery stores and cannot find it anywhere. I even scoured the Indian/Thai food section. Does anyone know what this is, or if I can sub for bagged flaked coconut? 

Thank you!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

it's in a little blue can in the baking aisle probably by the pie fillings or the cocoa near the bagged coconut--or near the baking powder & baking soda

it's literally coconut in a can--super moist and fresh

and yes you can substitue the bagged kind

i used frozen coconut for the first time (that i can remember) and i was sincerely not impressed--was dry--probably been thawed & re-frozen a thousand times but the canned is always super fresh/moist

Omas Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omas Cakes Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 4

ABaker's used to make a canned angel flake coconut, but I haven't seen it in years. Last I heard Walmart carried it, however, I have not seen it there. I have several recipes with coconut and substitute the bagged coconut. Just make sure to weigh it to get an accurate measurement.

HTH

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 4

YAY!  You ladies are awesome. Thank you so much!  I did purchase a can of coconut milk in case I had to do some sort of mad scientist concoction, but I think I'll just use that for some coconut curry icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%