How Do I Make A Hippy Theme Cake Like This...

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 3 Apr 2013 , 5:34am by doramoreno62

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 9:06am
post #1 of 13

Ok my grand daughter wants a birthday theme thats called Neon Hippy Birthday ...it has Peace Signs, Guitars, Butterflies, and lighting bolts, has words like Rock ...best I can do is find this image and one person that has done a cake like this on CC, but she did it in Fondant.

I work in BC...HELP...ideas please...She gave me some, but thought maybe others could have some input..have til April 20th

There is a CC'er here that did this cake, and she is the one that gave me pointers...I think she did an AWESOME JOB!!!! But it's Fondant...

http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/rockin-hippie-cake/28991

HELP!!!!

thanks all.

12 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 11:21am
post #2 of 13

You could maybe see if you could get something similar printed on to an icing sheet and apply it to the buttercream.

Edge Desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edge Desserts Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 13

You could do a reverse buttercream transfer... print the image as a mirror image and secure to a smooth piece of cardboard or foam board... secure wax paper over the image... pipe/trace the pattern (to the best of your ability!  you might make some modifications to work with buttercream).... make sure there aren't any holes or air pockets... place another sheet of wax paper over it and gently smooth it out ( a fondant smoother works great for this part).  Place it in the freezer.  you should be able to peel off the wax paper... flip it onto your cake and remove the wax paper from the other side.  It creates a really cool/smooth and seamless effect and no fondant :)  You can pipe a bead border around it to give it a finished look.  Hope this wasn't too confusing!  

2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 13

Yeah thats a BC Transfer...I was trying to not do it like that...only because everytime I do one, it's rised alittle and I have to put an edge border around the image...go see my Rafael Ninja turtle cake and you will see what I mean.

I still have some trouble with the smoothing of the BC on cakes and mainly the BC Transfers. You said to put it between two wax papers and just a fondant smoother and gentle pressure to flatten it...would it transfer good like that? if its been in freezer for along time? I would think thinner would make it harder to transfer over???

*listening, might learn something new*...lol

Edge Desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edge Desserts Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 13

Yes, it does raise it up a bit, but I kind of like that... it gives it some dimension... I think thinner would be hard to transfer onto the cake.  Just make sure you get it on the cake where you want it before removing the bottom (now the top) piece of wax paper.  I really hope it turns out well... would love to see the finished product!

2txmedics Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah I was hoping to not do it in BC...I wanted it more natural looking...lol so I posted it in here in hopes of finding an easy way to do it in BC or mainly different Ideas from others.

Thank you very much...looks like I might have to do it in BC Transfer....since I dont work in Fondant...

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 13
2txmedics Posted 1 Apr 2013 , 7:20am
post #8 of 13

I'just looking for something different other than BC transfer. so how would i do use the Camo effect?  make the cake a solid color and then pipe on the hearts ,stars,words and roll them down?.....

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:51am
post #9 of 13

I would make the cake the opposite of your pic. I would make the  background tie dye/camo and then pipe on the shapes and words with a solid color. icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 7:59am
post #10 of 13

yeah thats what I was afarid of...lol piping it on, my hands shake....oh gosh, grand kids! cake is suppose to be solid neon green or hot pink.....

wonder if i can crust the BC and paint it on after maybe tracing it with a tooth pick.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 9:44am
post #11 of 13

I don't think this is a buttercream transfer at all. I think it is a design that was cut out of gumpaste and placed on top of the cake after it hardened a bit.

Which may be the easiest thing for you to do 2txmedics. Just roll out some gumpaste and cut the design from a template you can easily get on the internet. Then paint it some wild and funky colors!

You can also use letter cutters such as Tappits to do the writing if you don't trust yourhandwriting skills.

Good Luck!

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 13

I've never done this but....I wonder if it's possible to get a white icing sheet, mist it lightly with food coloring (small mister bottle with vodka & color gel) to achieve the tye dye look. Let it dry then cut out the shapes and apply to the buttercream.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 5:34am
post #13 of 13

Bikemom3, I'm sure that can be done. I airbrush white edible sheets all the time to change the color or add shimmer. Great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%