White Chocolate Ganache Quantities, Do I Have Too Much?

Decorating By niamhy Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 2:07am by kaylawaylalayla

niamhy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niamhy Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm making a two tiered cake, 6 and 9, and each layer about 3 inches thick.

I am only wanting to cover the outside of the cakes, the filling won't be ganache and I don't want it to be thick, just enough to cover it all evenly.

I have spent ages looking on websites and used the Ganacherator (which is sooo handy) but it seems like there's going to be so much left over. I use metric as well which makes it even more difficult as most things are in cups etc.

It seems that I need about 1100g (39oz) white chocolate and 370ml (13oz) cream. Can anyone advise if this is the perfect amount or if I can cut down on quantities?

Thank you!

4 replies
Annalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalie Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 5

I always just use a ratio of 1 part cream to 3 parts white chocolate per weight. eg. 100g cream to 300g white chocolate, or 50g cream to 150g white chocolate.

For dark ganache, the ratio is 1:2

Hope this helps.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 5

I also always use the 3:1 ratio for white and freeze what I don't need. You can always thaw it later and mix into your buttercream etc.

niamhy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niamhy Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 5

My main concern is that it's very costly to buy in a lot of chocolate and as this isn't for sale, I was wondering if this quantity is rather high and I could cut back a bit to save a few pennies? :)

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 2:07am
post #5 of 5

I don't knwo the answer. but what i would doto finout is go to a recipe site or book that i trusted and look for a cake or gateux covered in ganache and see how much they use for that size cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%