Ball Pan Cake- Layering

Decorating By AbbieCakes Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 6:43am by AbbieCakes

AbbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbbieCakes Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 9:13am
post #1 of 4

Quick question. I have an order coming up for a soccer cake, so I'll be using my Wilton Ball Pan for the first time. The thing is, I have major beef with cakes that are all cake and no buttercream. I always tort my layers to keep things balanced, but I've never used a ball pan before. I'd like to split each of the halves and fill with buttercream. Has anyone ever done this with a ball pan? Are there other methods you've used to not have a ball that's all cake? I don't want to mess with shape/proportion of it so I just need to know if I should just suck it up for the design or if there is a solution. Thanks everyone! 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 4

you could torte it if you want to deal with it

i'd torte it frozen

it wouldn't really effect the shape that much

it adds to the degree of difficulty though

you could bake a short layer in the ball pan

and a corresponding 7 or 8 inch layer to get the full height

but then you're scuplting more

why not just keep a bag of buttercream handy to adorn each serving ;)

if you are well versed at sculpting --go 'head...but if you were--you wouldn't be asking

so why not try it once without torting and next time be ready to try it

or be ready this time to re-bake if necessary 

i mean i do sculptures with whipped cream & fresh strawberries or slippery curds but i'm used to it

what's your comfort level and do you have time to experiment?

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 4

I've used the Wilton Soccer Ball pan (which is like half a ball pan).  I sliced it into 2 layers (horizontally) and it worked nicely.  So, I would think you could separate each side of the full round ball pan into 2 layers, which, when put together, would give you 3 layers of filling altogether.

AbbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbbieCakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 6:41am
post #4 of 4

Thanks all- I'm going to tackle it tonight and see how it goes. If I have to carve, I'll carve :) Just wish I'd had a chance to practice first. I'm also keeping in mind that I will have to cut off a little from the bottom so that there is a flat side for it to rest on. This soccer ball will be on a square cake, so I'm sure I can adjust from the bottom, if need-be. Thanks for the help, I'll post a pic when it's finished :) 

P.S. K8Memphis: I have thought many times of how fun it'd be to get an order for a bunch of cupcakes and bags of buttercream. I'm thinking that would be a hilarious business venture! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%