How Much To Charge If Request For Just Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 2 Jan 2014 , 8:58pm by KDs_Cakes

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:06am
post #1 of 8

I received a request to make just the fondant decorations for a lady to place on a cake she is making for her grandkids.  I made them and boxed them for her,  Attached are the photos

7 replies
Brendabeeper Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:07am
post #2 of 8

Sorry I am asking how much would you charge for something like this?   thank you 

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

AThose are very cute. How many hours did it take you? I believe you can find cake decorations for sale on etsy. Maybe look there and see what people are charging.

Brendabeeper Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:25am
post #4 of 8

making characters are not a specialty of mine still trying to get practice on them,  They took me a while about a hour each to make.  then maybe a hour for all the others.    I have seen the etsy sites so can check there too.  thank you.  

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

AIt depends a lot on your area, I am currently in the process of starting my business officially. I started by checking the competitors in my area. But fondant decorations are where I am having a problem, your characters are great by the way. You can look on etsy for fondant toppers and get an idea of what people are selling theirs for but basically it comes down to how intricate the design is, if you want to get paid hourly and include your ingredients. Most of them are fairly simple cut outs, I'd probably charge .50 each and maybe discount one or two since there are so many but your characters you can charge a flat fee or time plus ingredients. I'd hate to undervalue your work, and since I don't know how long it took you to make them I'd say anywhere from $5-15 each, they really are lovely. Whatever you do be firm with your price.

Brendabeeper Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 2:53am
post #6 of 8

I looked at etsy and they are going for aprox 10 to 15 each character or 48.00 aprox for the set.  Thanks for your help.  I know these are complicated and scary sometimes to make I know I am slow and want to be able to make better characters,   Man there are some very very talented people out there.  Thank you for all the postings on how to and the answers to  questions we get here.  I did use speghetti for the 1st time instead of toothpicks to attach the arms and legs,  it works great by the way.

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 8

wow they are fantastic ;-) Pricing is hard when you do it for a hobby as some people just want something for nothing these days!

KDs_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDs_Cakes Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

I would say $10-$15 each for the Umizoomi Characters; those are 3D and took sometime I'm sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%