Condensed Version Of The "best Tips" Thread!

Decorating By snowbunny86 Updated 25 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm by snowbunny86

snowbunny86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowbunny86 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

So I'm a newbie caker and stumbled across the 'tips' thread the other day and figured since I was making a list for myself, I could post it for everyone (33 pages is a LOT to read!).  Hopefully I didn't miss any, feel free to post any if I did!

• upside down smoothing

• Pressing down on cakes/using weights to level cakes right out of the oven (apparently just placing them upside down on a counter top will work too!)
  • Using a spackle knife/bench scraper to smooth icing
  • Using vanilla/caramel coffee mate to flavour cakes

• Marshmallow fondant (MMF)

• using cocoa powder in place of some icing sugar. Then you just need a small amount of black food dye!

• putting fondant/gum paste in the oven with JUST the light on so it dries out faster

• Dyeing MMF while in the melted marshmallow stage-WAY easier!

• using Hershey's kisses for rose centres (instead of the 'blop' in the centre)

• red kool aid for red food coloring

• If you forgot to bring your eggs at room temperature, just submerge them in tepid/warm water in 2-3 minutes.

• If you forgot to bring the butter to room temperature, use a grater with large holes and grate it just like cheese

• cupcake cakes (I couldn't find a good thread discussing how to do this, if anyone could post a link that'd be great!)

• cake extender

• Chocolate transfers (again, I couldn't find a good tutorial/thread on this so any help would be great!)

• Cake dressing so your cake releases easily from the pan

• equal parts Crisco, flour, oil mixed together and then applied to you baking pan using a pastry brush (make sure to get the corners)

• Melvira smoothing method

• Introduction to americolor

• using a silicone pad (silpad?) to roll out fondant so it doesn't stick! Can also use vinyl

• Using a Play doh fun factory for fondant decorations

• Ironing wax paper on to ribbon to make it grease proof

• Pink fondant, or any fondant with red in it will fade if exposed to light for too long, so keep those in a dark place to dry

• Using Spaghetti strands to for extra support of fondant heads/limbs/etc.

And by far the most repeated tip in that thread was the amount of help/support/encouragement that is available just a click away!  Not to mention the inspiration you can get from the beautiful photos in the gallery!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

well how very sweet and thoughtful of you

<shouting>

snowbunny86 for president!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

snowbunny86 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks!  Hopefully somebody will find it helpful!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

83 peeps beside you & me so far!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

Sure beats the heck out of trying to browse through 33 pages for that one hint you remembered in there somewhere!  Thanks for being so considerate.

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 7

Now, if you ever want to know about " gourmet flavors " and go trough 413+ pages lolol ;)

Thank you for the recap, alot less intimidating then going trough it all.

snowbunny86 Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

Ahaha I've seen that one! Waaay too much to go through!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%