Seconds Layer Is Slipping!!!!

Decorating By Mirm99 Updated 24 Mar 2013 , 4:46pm by kazita

Mirm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mirm99 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi yall!.. im still fairly new to cake decorating as i really only do it for family and of course for my kids bdays.. So yesterday I made my daughters bday cake and I've never had this problem before where the second layer keeps sliding. I put a dam around it before putting the strawberry filling in it and it was just not happening.. Lol I refrigerated it for an hr and then iced the cake but towards the end the filling came come out slowly... Such a nice cake and it wasn't working lol can someone help me figure out what I did or any tips so next time I don't do this again.. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Chefhotmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefhotmama Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

AI agree, maybe it was too much filling.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 5

ADid you level your cake before putting the second layer on so that there is no hump? And agreed as said before to much filling. Make a thick dam a 4th of an inch in from the edge of the cake than put in your filling, the weight from the top layer pushes the dam to the edge of the cake. I should say the weight of the top layer will push the cake down some, you will have to push it down some and lots of people use some sort of weight to put on the cake to leave it there for a few hours or even overnight to have the cake settle .

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 5

I think an hour was not enough time for a "gooey" filling.   I always chill cakes overnight after crumb coating.  That may be too long for others...but it's what works for me.   

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 5

AI should make it clear by what I mean by putting weight on top of the cake...just a very light weight, lots of people use a book or a single ceramic tile used just for this purpose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%