Cake And Icing Help!?!?!?

Decorating By steffani56 Updated 24 Mar 2013 , 7:18pm by kazita

steffani56 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:07am
post #1 of 13

AI have to make a 3 tiered chocolate cake April 13. Can I use any type of cake? Do you have to use dowels? I have never tried fondant, I want to use it but need a good recipes. The icing you can buy at the store just don't work or look light and fluffy enough. What consistently should the icing be, need a good recipes for that to. Should I freeze the cake a day ahead? Then decorate the of? How long will the sugar flowers stay good?

12 replies
imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:25am
post #2 of 13

ACovering a cake in fondant requires lots of practice before you get it perfect. Try practice covering your round pans, just flip them over and practice that way first before putting on an actual cake. You will need to use dowel rods or your cakes will sink when you stack them. Edna de lacruz has a great tutorial on how to do this. If you are buying the already made sugar roses, they usually lat quite a while, ad they are hard. I always give myself plenty of time to do a cake. Usually double the time that I think I will need just in case i need to fix anything that I messed up on. Box recipes are fine to use, Duncan Hines is very good. To get your frosting very smooth, I use a "crusting" buttercream recipe. That way I can smooth the cake out really nice, and you don't see any lines or anything in it. Also, homemade marshmallow fondant is very easy to make and it tastes waaaay better than the store bought stuff. That's a rip off. Hope this helps!

leah_s Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:45am
post #3 of 13

AAnd be sure to finish. The cake the day before its due.

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:51am
post #4 of 13

A

Original message sent by leah_s

And be sure to finish. The cake the day before its due.

Yes... 9 times out of 10, my clients always call and wants to know if they can pick their cake up a day early!

mcaulir Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 9:48am
post #5 of 13

OP, are you, by any chance, kidding?

AZCouture Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 13

A

Original message sent by mcaulir

OP, are you, by any chance, kidding?

And have you ever made a cake at all?

steffani56 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 13

AThanks everyone for your inputs. No I'm not kidding lol I have never made a big cake, I'm just starting out I have all kids of Lil tools and stuff. I have watched so much stuff on YouTube and read alot of stuff. I just have so many questions. So anything y'all can think of let me know!!$ plz and thanks

remnant3333 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 13

Watching you tube videos is a great tool for learning how to do cakes. Just make sure you level your cakes. You will need dowels for stacking your cakes with each cake on their own cardboard. Everyone here will gladly try to help you when you have questions but a good practice run will also show you that it is not as easy as it looks. So take your time and if you make any mistakes you are going to learn from them. The people here will guide you through it. They are a great help in our times of need!!!

Hang in there. I only do butter cream but there are experts here at cc who know how to do the fondant. You can always type in fondant and see every discussion at cc and read. all the discussions. The box to type in is at the upper right hand corner where it says search.

Good luck and have patience.

steffani56 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 13

AI would rather use buttercream instead of fondant but I can't seen to get it smooth or the right consistently. Do you have any recipes? Can you do just buttercream for the icing on a wedding cake?

steffani56 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 13

AI would rather use buttercream instead of fondant but I can't seen to get it smooth or the right consistently. Do you have any recipes? Can you do just buttercream for the icing on a wedding cake?

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 13

AHere is what I use : 2 cups + 3 TBS shortening. Preferably the off-brand instead of Crisco, because you need the extra fat, and Crisco takes a lot of the extra fat out. 1 3/4 tsp. vanilla 1/4 tsp almond flavor 3/4 tsp butter flavor 1/4 tsp salt Put all these ingredients in your kitchen aid mixer and mix until nice and smooth. Then add: 1/2-3/4 cup powdered coffee creamer regular non-dairy, dry Also add 1/3 cup of sour cream and mix again until its nice and smooth. Add an additional 1/3 cup of sour cream again. Mix until incorporated. Then add an entire 2 lb bag of powdered sugar, 1/3 of the bag at a time until everything is well blended and smooth. This frosting will be VERY thick . When you put it on your cake, smooth it out as good as you can, then wait about 20 minutes. "Touch" the frosted cake to see if your frosting has crusted. Meaning- your frosting should not come off of the cake AT ALL when you touch it. If your cake is crusted, you can smooth it out even more with a piece of wax paper or a VIVA paper towel. Find the "viva method" on you tube. It will smooth your frosting out very nicely. I use this recipe all the time, and yes, even on wedding cakes. Hope this helps! Good luck!

imadreamer702 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 13

ABy the way, I use quite a bit of frosting on my cakes, and this recipe usually fills and covers a 9 inch round cake. (Using 3- 9 inch round pans, stacked, filled and cake covered. You probably will need to make a couple batches of this frosting for a big 3 tier cake. :)

kazita Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 13

AIf you use high ratio shortening it makes a world of difference in taste in your buttercream. You can buy it at cake supply stores or online it is a bit pricey but well worth it. www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/CK-Products-High-Ratio-Shortening-3lb__77-320.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%