1001 Same Cake Question. Sorry I'm A Newbie Here.

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 24 Mar 2013 , 7:46pm by SugarExplosion

SugarExplosion Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:05am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

Okay, I'm sure u have prolly had this question asked a thousand times from newbies but here I go anyway. Ok I've use box cakes and from starch recipes when I bake cakes. I have noticed by fair that when it comes to wedding cakes or simply cakes in general most people prefer very moist cakes over more firm textures cakes. So getting to my point...

How have you accounted for personal taste of your changing client base? I find it hard to give up the doctored up box mix due to the moist expectation of the consumer. But I have noticed that my box 

cakes in my humble opinion can't standup to craving and fondant stacking alone. And the more sponge/ firmer cake recipes tend to be on the dry side. However, I could be wrong in my assumption.

I have looked at at the recipe links and see a lot of chatter about Chocolate Mud cake and WASC(?) but have not tried them yet. So, what is your "to go" to use when baking cakes for clients.  in my house, my family prefer box cake all the way. It's a same. smh. lol They are missing out.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

DeeDee

2 replies
yortma Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 3

WASC is White Sour Cream Almond Cake and is a doctored cake mix.  There are wonderful scratch recipes that must be found by much trial and error. I prefer scratch because I know what's in it, I always have the ingredients on hand, and I am not supporting the cake mix companies who may change their formulations and quantities at any time.  

Try these:

Jennifer Bratko's A Better White cake  (fromscratchsf.com)

Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake (from her book the well decorated cake)

Deluxe Devil's food cake (from the back of the Softasilk cake flour box)

Double Chocolate Layer Cake (Epicurious.com)

I have tried dozens of recipes and these are all winners.  These are all delicious, moist, and sturdier than cake mixed based recipes.  Good luck!

SugarExplosion Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 3

AYortma,

Thank you so much to the new resources! I can't wait to try them! I really want to move way from box cakes.

DeeDee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%