Alton Brown's Devil's Food Cake Recipe

Baking By Krypto Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 10:45pm by -K8memphis

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 9

Happy Saturday! Has anyone tried Alton Brown's Devil's Food Cake recipe? I like that the recipe is written by weight. I normally use the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe but would love another great chocolate cake to use in my rotation. Any feedback is much appreciated. The reviews are very mixed on the Food Network website.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/devils-food-cake-recipe/index.html

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 9

i haven't tried it

but in general i find the recipes on food network need tweaking in one way or another if they even work at all

and of course these are just the ones i've used so this is an extremely non scientific review here

but if it was me --i'd temper it with a good dose of other chocolate recipes

i like alton brown a lot but the recipes on food tv are not super reliable in my personal estimation

Krypto Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 9

Quote:

i like alton brown a lot but the recipes on food tv are not super reliable in my personal estimation

I agree 100%. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 9

so actually right now i am putting colette's and toba's chocolate cake recipes together because i don't have the exact right ingredients for either one--plus i'm gonna toss in some almond flour

this is just for snacking--not for a client

it's like collage baking -- patchwork caking 

icon_biggrin.gif

Krypto Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 9

Almond flour...yum! Let me know how your "experiment" turns out.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 9

turned out good

i almost always add 3/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and several teaspoons of saigon cinnamon so there's that

cayenne and cinnamon are real good for you--anti-inflamatories

fires and spices it up in a nice way--it's not shocking or anything--very pleasant--great with cream cheese filling

then i just substituted a half cup of almond flour for regular flour for a little texture a little protein

then i used part of colette's recipe then part of toba's recipe

and plopped in some extra cocoa, a tad of peanut oil, a dollop of sour cream

and it's good! sitting there waiting for some icing mmmm

lawyercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lawyercake Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 9

Oooh cayenne and cinnamon!  I bet that is delicious.  I really like Martha Stewart's devil's food cake.  Seems to turn out well every time and very easy to make!

Krypto Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion, lawyercake. I love Martha's recipes. Cayenne sounds wonderful, K8memphis. I have added a pinch of cinnamon but never thought about adding cayenne.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

it's irresistible

and i like the saigon cinnamon because it is like red hot candy flavor cinnamon -- it's warm & spicey too

i even found roasted saigon cinnamon once--wow that was good--and available at just the grocery store--no $pecial stores

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%