Cake Tins.. Shapes And Sizes..

Decorating By jodietaylor Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 1:19pm by jodietaylor

jodietaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodietaylor Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:02am
post #1 of 10

I currently only own an 8" deep cake tin but would like to start stacking cakes and also making shapes such as books, football pitch... Which Shape and Size tins would be best for these?

Would a stacked cake with an 8" 6" 4" tins be ok or would I need to start from a 10"?

Thank You xxx

9 replies
Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:23am
post #2 of 10

Hello Jodie, Depends on how many you're serving...party servings are about twice the size of wedding servings,  Rich fruit cake servings are smaller than sponge servings.  I recently put a 6" hexagon on top of an 8" round.  (only because I only have the one hexagon tin!!!!)

I always thought that it should be a 2" gap ie; 6,8,10,12...but some people on here do 6,9,12...I think it depends on servings needed, what tins you have, and what you feel like doing!

If you are stacking for the first time there are some good youtube tutorials on using dowels/straws.  I would definitely use sturdy plastic dowels for a rich fruit.

Have fun experimenting icon_biggrin.gif

Spireite Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:27am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodietaylor 

I ...would like to start stacking cakes and also making shapes such as books, football pitch... Which Shape and Size tins would be best for these?

In the picture gallery there is a picture of some round sponges filled with jam, then cut in half, laid down to make an open book shape....I added it to my faves for future reference

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2941229/you-will-need-to-use-3-or-4-round-cakes-place-your-round-cakes-on-the-top-of-one-another-and-vertically-cut-them-all-the-way-through-in-the-middle-of-your-cake-step-2-put-the-cake-horizontally-on-the-flat-board-with-the-same-order-the-cake-was/

jodietaylor Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:37am
post #4 of 10

Oh Thank You both so much! I have only been baking for 3 weeks and I dont think I've been to bed before 2am trying to learn everything! Thanks soo much I really appreciate it :) xxxx

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:45am
post #5 of 10

AIt sounds like you're wanting to stack a cake just for practice. In which case an 8, 6, and 4 would be great. The 4" will probably irritate you though from its constantly sliding around on you!

If you're about to purchase your bake ware, might I suggest you invest in good pans. Wilton=crap. Magic line pans are your best bet and they aren't much more expensive than the cheap ones. Try ******************. There's another great place but I believe the site is banned from this site... politics... sheesh! As far as sizes, it's up to you and what sizes you think you'd use most. I use 6, 8, and 9 more than anything (don't stack a6, 8, and 9; it won't look right) so when I ordered my pans I made sure to get at least two of each of those.

On a side note, I personally disagree (respectfully) that party sizes and weddings sizesshould be different. I understand the premise behind it but that's one of the reasons that brides think the word wedding magically increases the price of everything! A piece of cake is a piece of cake regardless of the occasion. A party cake and a wedding cake that look identical are the same amount of work so why should someone be charged more for one and less for the other?

manddi Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 11:47am
post #6 of 10

AOh... that site is banned too...

Fondant source. Com

Only remove the spaces.

You won't regret the investment in good pans. I bought a bunch of Wilton pans before I knew any better and I'm replacing all of them!

jodietaylor Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 10

AThank you!! I went out and spent over £60 on eBay buying everything I thought I needed at the cheapest price and last night, after everything came back, I spent over £100 replacing most things, I've well and truly learnt my lesson that cheap products will actually be more expensive! I have a very understanding OH thankfully :) I've had a request for a castle cake and was thinking of stacking a 8", 6" & a 4" covered in fondant.. Would those sizes work well? Xxxx Thank you once again

manddi Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 10

AOf course! :)

Spireite Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

On a side note, I personally disagree (respectfully) that party sizes and weddings sizesshould be different. I understand the premise behind it but that's one of the reasons that brides think the word wedding magically increases the price of everything! A piece of cake is a piece of cake regardless of the occasion. A party cake and a wedding cake that look identical are the same amount of work so why should someone be charged more for one and less for the other?

Hi manddi icon_razz.gif I only meant as a servings guide, as still at a lot of weddings in the UK, the cake isn't the dessert, but an extra course, so long as the person baking the cake (and doing the maths) knows what the bridal couple are planning.....personally I like a big slice of rich fruit cake, complete with icing AND marzipan which is even larger than the 'party' serving size icon_biggrin.gif...but maybe I'm just greedy, but my Dad is the same...my Christmas cakes, once cut don't last long...

jodietaylor Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 10

AThanks :D xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%