Bake'n Fill Ice Cream Brownie Cake And Possibly Cover In Fondant

Decorating By cakesncuppies Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 6:24pm by -K8memphis

cakesncuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesncuppies Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow CC members. Hear me out.....I have the betty crocker bake 'n fill pan set and I need to make some round shaped cakes for my nephew. He loves brownies and ice cream. So I got this great idea to use fudge brownie as the base cake for this project and what better filling to go with brownies than ICE CREAM, right? Well...I'm worried this might turn into a disaster. I'm trying to do as much research on this as possible before I proceed. So If anyone can...please help me out?

Here are my plans:
   I've already baked the brownies in the ball and base cake pans. While in the pan...I plan on making a dam with ganache and also coat the inside of the brownie a little bit with the ganache before filling the center with softened ice cream. Pop it back in the freezer for about 45 min to an hour until the ice cream firms up again. Once firm, I would top the ice cream center with more ganache to seal it in before I put the brownie base on top. Unmold the brownie ice cream "cake" and cover with a coat of ganache. Freeze the whole thing. Take it out of the freezer...roll out the fondant, and cover it.....working as quickly as possible. Get as much decorating done as possible and then freeze the fondant covered ice cream brownie cake. Brownies are sturdier, but also heavier and I think that could either work to my advantage or......not.

Here are some of my concerns....

I've heard stories of people having melting fondant cakes after freezing, but i've also read how some people have successfully froze cakes covered with marshmallow fondant. I do make my own marshmallow fondant and I've refrigerated covered cakes before without an issue with sweating. I've never actually made an ice cream cake before, but in my head..I'm thinking this would work because the ice cream will actually be in the center core of the whole thing. Although I'm not sure how long I can leave the cake sitting out before serving...I feel like it would be able to stay out relatively longer than a regular ice cream cake just because it will have the outer layers protecting it.  I live in Chicago where the weather is currently in the 30's outside. I've been decorating cakes with fondant for 4 years now, but I've never had to freeze my cakes. I'm not sure if this will all work...

I will try to include some of the links I've read about freezing fondant cakes

This is what the cake pan set can do....note that the center is completely surrounded by cake. Not sure if that would make a difference when working with ice cream cake.

2 replies
Peanut66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut66 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 3

Hi

This might help Wilton do a tasty fill pan set their website

gives recipes and how to fill with ice cream

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Neapolitan-Ice-Cream-Cake

It looks similar to your idea.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 3

some of the things to watch are concerning the kind of decor are you using

i found out that edible marker ink decor sweats off when going from freezer to room temp (like a colorful niagara falls i might add ;) so i'd avoid those

also--as soon as possible i would freeze the ice cream as rock hard as possible once it's encased in the cake

i can't tell for sure but it seems it's coming in and out of the freezer a lot (and it needs to of course) but maybe before it totally gets a long chilly rest in there

one other thing you could do in advance is maybe test some of your decor in the freezer then to room temp and see how it does

get a nice hot knife to serve it!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%