Pisces Fish Cake - My First Sculpted Cake(S)

Decorating By hobbyhoarder Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 12:44am by enga

hobbyhoarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbyhoarder Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hi CC world,

I just recently began cake making at a slightly higher level than what most 6 year olds do with cupcakes and canned frosting. I have made about 4 cakes thus far and this, or these, I should say, are my fourth. I made this last month for my friend, Renee's, birthday. When I inquired about her most favorite things, this is what she told me... "I like Sunshines, astrology, pisces sign, water lillies and my favorite colors are red and blue." 

So I designed this cake with the attempt to incorporate all of her favorite things into one cake. The Scorpio symbol is her daughter's sign. The sun virus cake didn't make it into the final design as the fish stood well enough on their own, but it was still given as a gag cake (See the cake disaster section)

This is my first sculpted cake(s). It's chocolate cake with buttercream frosting and MM Fondant. the tail fins are fondant and dorsal fins gumpaste. Airbrushed and handpainted. Sprayed with Gold paint. The one fish looks orange but it was more red than these pictures show.  Sorry about the picture quality. I wish I would have taken the time to take better pictures as these don't really do the colors and sparkle any justice.

Could any of you experienced sugar chefs price this for me? All of my girlfriends were trying to estimate a cost at a real bakery but we have absolutely no basis for comparison. It took me too many hours to admit. LOL  I realize there is plenty of room for improvement but I would still like to know what someone would charge for something like this. (without the sun)

Thanks for looking!

Renee

Hobbyhoarder

2 replies
jsclar03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsclar03 Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 12:32am
post #2 of 3

That is an awesome cake! I would have never guessed that it was your fourth cake. I don't know how much that would cost.  I'm an amateur myself and I always find that I undercharge whenever I get paid for a cake, so sorry I couldn't add anything there, but I just wanted to say that I think that is great work.  I'm going to be making something similar this weekend. Wish me luck!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 12:44am
post #3 of 3

Very nice work! I would add up your cost to produce them and of course your time so price accordingly :wink:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%