Sun Or Microorganism/virus?

Decorating By hobbyhoarder Updated 24 Mar 2013 , 2:32pm by hobbyhoarder

hobbyhoarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbyhoarder Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hello CC world!

This is my second post and I'm very new to 'making cakes'. I've made about 4 cakes that you could consider a little more advanced than box cake and slopped on store bought frosting.

My friends birthday was coming up last month so I wanted to make her a cake. Some of her most favorite things are astrology, suns, etc. So I made her a pisces cake (I am going to post in the decorating thread shortly) and this Sun. Well, I don't think I have to explain why this cake just didn't quite live up to my creative vision. And even though I made her a different cake (which this was supposed to be an element of) I did present this to her as a gag cake first.

I told her I was going for a sun but ended up with a virus... The slightly intoxicated crowd of my girlfriends belly rolled for about 5 minutes so it was still a hit, despite being a disaster. :)

It is orange cake with buttercream filling and a thin layer of orange marmalade in the middle. The peaks are royal frosting (my first time making royal frosting and a round cake). It's airbrushed and spray painted gold.

So here's to my virus! (No one got sick in the consumption of this cake and surprisingly the orange was refreshing and good!)

Renee
Hobbyhoarder

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

i adore this cake

it's under the sea goes celestial in a the-blob-that-ate-chicago way

srsly--forget your vision--it often can take a looong time to get the visions aligned with what gets produced

but this is tremendously awesome

and i haven't had one adult beverage...

go with the flow ;)

creating your firey cake galaxy one planet at a time...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyhoarder 

So here's to my virus! (No one got sick in the consumption of this cake and surprisingly the orange was refreshing and good!)

I think it's actually pollen: http://contemplativemammoth.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/no-pollen-grains-were-harmed-in-the-writing-of-this-dissertation/

Perhaps slightly more palatable.

icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 8

omg some kind of cosmic bionuclear molecularious a l'orange encounter of several variously numbered kinds - close enough!!! ;)

i'd like to suggest that you post your creation on her blog

a meeting of the minds across the miles

scary but perhaps it's firey rocking orange destiny???

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 8

I love it, even though I find it reminiscent of Lisa Simpson's hair  icon_lol.gif... well done

Nonni53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nonni53 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 8

Chihuli?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

I for one had to google Chihuli but you are right.  I keep waiting for it to evolve into a monster.

hobbyhoarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbyhoarder Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 8

Ha! Thanks for the pollen picture. I sent it to my friend and got another good laugh out of her.  Sure to be a birthday cake she will never forget. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%