Smooth Finish

Decorating By chrishfriends Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 3:23pm by chrishfriends

chrishfriends Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrishfriends Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

Can anyone advise me how to get a smooth finish to a cake.  On all the cakes I've made you can see where the 2 cakes are joined with buttercream.  Also I cover the cake with buttercream in order to stick fondant to it but it is never smooth and always shows the crumbs of the cake.  Please help?

Thanks

5 replies
Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

AIve been having a mare with this aswell, tried crusting buttercream that gasnt crusted, trying white ganache again this week, apparently if you can make it right it sets up hard and acts as a barrier so the line where the cakes join cant be seen.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 6

ATo avoid the dreaded filling bulge your cake needs to settle. Fill it then cover in plastic wrap and then wait(overnight is best). If you're in a bit of a rush you can put something heavy on top (like a ceramic tile) to speed up the process(there's no set time but I usually wait at least 3 hours).

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 6

A

Original message sent by Embles

Ive been having a mare with this aswell, tried crusting buttercream that gasnt crusted, trying white ganache again this week, apparently if you can make it right it sets up hard and acts as a barrier so the line where the cakes join cant be seen.

If you're using crisco your icing won't crust well. Use high ratio shortening; or at least use shortening that has trans fats. You'll see a world of difference!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 6

I agree on letting the cake settle....but I don't put anything on top.   I make sure my dam is piped on the inside of the cake...crumb coat...and put in frig overnight.  Period.   That's it.   No seams...no bulges.    I also completely ice the cake before putting on fondant...more becuase peeps here don't like fondant and plan on peeling it off.   My way ensures they will still have a "butter cream" cake to eat.

chrishfriends Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrishfriends Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your replies.  I've got another one to make tonight so I will try your suggestions.  I think my buttercream is too thick as well so will try to thin it a bit so it spreads easier.  Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%