Forgot To Add Sugar In Making Meringue

Decorating By wilma c Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm by BakingIrene

wilma c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilma c Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:34am
post #1 of 8

AA major booboo....i was so distracted trying to multi-task in the middle of baking butter cake recipe & wondered why my eggwhites mixture (meringue) didn't rise as much & slightly collapsed...necer thought that it was because i didn't add sugar in it while i left it as my KA whisked it. I continued in folding it in my batter ...then later realized about my mistake. Is there a way i can SAVE this? As i'm writing this i have NOT put the batter in the oven yet. I was hoping to get a "solution" to this really stupid mistake:'(

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

i don't know--if you add the sugar in anyhow now--

-it will still bake of course but it would be a bit to a lot different texture (?)

you probably already know that by now though

how'd it go?

wilma c Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 8

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

i don't know--if you add the sugar in anyhow now--

-it will still bake of course but it would be a bit to a lot different texture (?)

you probably already know that by now though

how'd it go?

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my stupid mistake.

The cake looked perfect until you'll taste it -- so bland:( and when it cooled it was tough & dry.

A huge lesson for me is not to overly multi-task when baking. When you're running a household with little kids & with no help you tend to do and finish as many chores as u can -- bad! :))

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 8

while it didn't turn out for you you actually learned a good deal about scratch baking

and the other thing is--take the time to check and re-check your ingredients before panning your batters etc.

just every time you get distracted & return--click off the ingredients from the top of the list--just do that every time and you'll never be in this situation again

another super thing to do is measure out every freaking thing in advance--just pull out every mixing bowl and cereal bowl and dog food dish er agh maybe not the dog food dishes ;) but just measure everything into something

it's easier and more mindless--you can see at a glance where you left off and you have the freedon to constantly get distracted and come back to find where you left off--crack the eggs into drinking glasses and you can still pour them out one by one

a few more dishes to wash but more secure when there's a lot of distractions

plus can be done days in advance too

the kids have to eat the morning cereal out of thier hands--but oh well icon_biggrin.gif

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 8

After I'd just had my third baby, I tried to make a fruit cake for my husband's birthday (his birthday is just over a week after her's).  I realised 10 minutes after it had gone in the oven that I'd forgotten to put the sugar in!  And then when it came out of the oven, I realised I'd also forgotten to add any eggs!  Needless to say, that cake did not turn out well at all...

Fortunately he was understanding and my second attempt came out much better :-)

Not any help to you in your problem, but your story reminded me of this and I thought I would indulge myself and share.

wilma c Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

while it didn't turn out for you you actually learned a good deal about scratch baking

and the other thing is--take the time to check and re-check your ingredients before panning your batters etc.

just [I]every time[/I] you get distracted & return--click off the ingredients from the top of the list--just do that every time and you'll never be in this situation again

another super thing to do is measure out every freaking thing in advance--just pull out every mixing bowl and cereal bowl and dog food dish er agh maybe not the dog food dishes ;) but just measure everything into something

it's easier and more mindless--you can see at a glance where you left off and you have the freedon to constantly get distracted and come back to find where you left off--crack the eggs into drinking glasses and you can still pour them out one by one

a few more dishes to wash but more secure when there's a lot of distractions

plus can be done days in advance too

the kids have to eat the morning cereal out of thier hands--but oh well :D

You're so kind enough to share your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you so much!

Indeed it would be nice to measure everything ahead & arrange according to steps just like what we usually see on TV for demo but i was avoiding additional work to do like washing..hahaha... But it's better doing this way than wasting time, effort & money for throwing a failed cake.

All the best to you!

wilma c Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 8

AAr[quote name="LizzieAylett" url="/t/755936/forgot-to-add-sugar-in-making-meringue#post_7376473"]After I'd just had my third baby, I tried to make a fruit cake for my husband's birthday (his birthday is just over a week after her's).  I realised 10 minutes after it had gone in the oven that I'd forgotten to put the sugar in!  And then when it came out of the oven, I realised I'd also forgotten to add any eggs!  Needless to say, that cake did not turn out well at all...

Fortunately he was understanding and my second attempt came out much better :-)

Not any help to you in your problem, but your story reminded me of this and I thought I would indulge myself and share.

[/quote

LOL - now we can laugh about it :) aren't we lucky to have understanding spouses?

Honestly it feels good to know i wasn't the only one who made such mistake ...hahaha

Cheers to us!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma c 

You're so kind enough to share your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you so much!

Indeed it would be nice to measure everything ahead & arrange according to steps just like what we usually see on TV for demo but i was avoiding additional work to do like washing..hahaha... But it's better doing this way than wasting time, effort & money for throwing a failed cake.

All the best to you!

Dry ingredients do not "dirty" up dishes. They can be wiped clean with a towel.

Or you can use pieces of waxed paper (less expensive than parchment or spoiled ingredients). 

You might also chase the kids out of the kitchen while you measure. Tell them, "no quiet time, no cake"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%