Help...i'm No Baker!

Baking By danimw Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 4:09am by Earlval33

danimw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danimw Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

AHi... I'm making around 50 cupcakes for my daughters 1st bday party. I want to just do a simple jumbo french tip or jumbo round tip swirl, but i want to use the crusting cream cheese frosting. Can anyone tell me step by step what I need to do to get them to their destination with out a hitch? Like do I frost & then refrigerate or do I frost & deliver immediately? I'm just concerned they will look horrible like the last batch I tried with just a regular cream cheese frosting recipe... They just fell flat & looked melted. The swirls didn't hold up at all

4 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 2:48am
post #2 of 5

AThey'll be fine at room temp. Your icing probably melted because it was too thin of a consistency. Check out Edna De La Cruz's website designmeacake.com. She has a great crusting buttercream recipe and a crusting cream cheese recipe!

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:57am
post #3 of 5

AI will start by saying I am NO expert or anything close...but I have had cream cheese cupcake heartaches that promoted me to do a "trial and error" on the crusting cream cheese frostings and this is what I found...

My heart ache was over a carrot cake and a white chocolate cream cheese frosting that was part of a cupcake recipe that came out AAAmazing so (white chocolate truffle) I figured since the picture had this pretty little swirl that you see in bakeries surely it would work...WRONG! Cream cheese makes the frosting soft and seems to add fat and I think maybe the chocolate only made it worse? Anyway, I ended up with results resembling your failed attempt (it happens ;/ ) I have a carrot cake recipe that is generations old in my family and after my grandmother passed away it was assumed that I would carry the tradition, I simply wanted piping consistency to decorate the cake with and the best one I found is the decorators cream cheese frosting http://cakecentral.com/a/decorators-cream-cheese-frosting This held up on a grooms cake 2 tiered with a petal affect around the sides in early September, my brother was tickled because his new MIL who would not let me do the wedding cake because I was not a professional baker ordered carrot cake as well for part of her $1470 cake and yes her cake was prettier than mine...but her 4 tiers and 6 sheet cakes were almost untouched...mine was gone ;) to top the day off, several people asked in front of her which cake I did because they knew I was doing one and a decorator was doing the other and they couldn't tell which looked better ;) (everyone roots for the underdog lol) I will say that I had several people who have known my family for years and have looked foreword to her cake at every church and community function...and even a few that were 80 plus and said "thats estelles cake!"told me that although it was pretty...to serve it with her original frosting at church lol, think 4 layers of buttermilk glazes carrot cake stacked with frosting oozing out of the sides...and whatever is left in the bowl dumped right on top...or drizzled depending on how many babies are in the floor waiting to lick the bowl

Earlval33 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5

AI will start by saying I am NO expert or anything close...but I have had cream cheese cupcake heartaches that promoted me to do a "trial and error" on the crusting cream cheese frostings and this is what I found...

My heart ache was over a carrot cake and a white chocolate cream cheese frosting that was part of a cupcake recipe that came out AAAmazing so (white chocolate truffle) I figured since the picture had this pretty little swirl that you see in bakeries surely it would work...WRONG! Cream cheese makes the frosting soft and seems to add fat and I think maybe the chocolate only made it worse? Anyway, I ended up with results resembling your failed attempt (it happens ;/ ) I have a carrot cake recipe that is generations old in my family and after my grandmother passed away it was assumed that I would carry the tradition, I simply wanted piping consistency to decorate the cake with and the best one I found is the decorators cream cheese frosting http://cakecentral.com/a/decorators-cream-cheese-frosting This held up on a grooms cake 2 tiered with a petal affect around the sides in early September, my brother was tickled because his new MIL who would not let me do the wedding cake because I was not a professional baker ordered carrot cake as well for part of her $1470 cake and yes her cake was prettier than mine...but her 4 tiers and 6 sheet cakes were almost untouched...mine was gone ;) to top the day off, several people asked in front of her which cake I did because they knew I was doing one and a decorator was doing the other and they couldn't tell which looked better ;) (everyone roots for the underdog lol) I will say that I had several people who have known my family for years and have looked foreword to her cake at every church and community function...and even a few that were 80 plus and said "thats estelles cake!"told me that although it was pretty...to serve it with her original frosting at church lol, think 4 layers of buttermilk glazes carrot cake stacked with frosting oozing out of the sides...and whatever is left in the bowl dumped right on top...or drizzled depending on how many babies are in the floor waiting to lick the bowl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%