How Do You Keep Your Fondant From Drying Out While Working With It?

Decorating By Cakemommy2012 Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 10:07pm by -K8memphis

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 10

Im doing an amazing Minecraft cake for my daughters Birthday and was wondering how to cut all those millions of squares and be able to assemble them without them all drying out and hardening before i want them too-----icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 10

AWork fast? Or just do a few at a time :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

i'm not sure about the specifics of minecraft squares but--

i use a piece of plastic wrap that is sprayed with pam or whatever fat spray you have--or just blast the top of the fondant--then keep it nicely covered with the plastic wrap

sometimes i cut things out of fondant and stack it into plastic bowls with tight fitting lids--gotta make sure they do not stick to each other of course

i can't leave them in there overnight necessarily but they stay well for a few so i can cut out a bunch and then finish them without them drying out in the meantime

Cakemommy2012 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:11am
post #4 of 10

Such good ideas!  May do the Airtight bowl---there will be so many TINY squares that may be the best best! Here goes nothing!  =-)

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:14am
post #5 of 10

there's a plastic wrap that is sticky on one side--so you can really adhere it to the table top surrounding the rolled out fondant--or maybe tape it down even?

good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:18am
post #6 of 10

I cover a cake board with white freezing paper. Last week i prepcut my fondant and modeling chocolate mixed medium(i cut 5-6  12" ribbons to go on sides of my cake. I layed them on this covered board, wrapped in saran wrap, then placed in white plastic bag and put in fridge overnite. When i wanted to place on cake. i got them out. just let get room tempt. for a minute and they went on beautifullly. They weren,t limp just perfect. hth... fridge to cake!!!!!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 10

turned out if they were a bit hard they were easier to put on.  this was a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be!!!  and ALOT of squares!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 10

wowwwwww

you did a great job!!!

i know she's gonna be one happy birthday girl!!!

you went the extra (many) miles on that one

that's amazing!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks K8Memphis!  it was def a long process and SO glad that is over with!  It wasn't the hardest cake I made but It took the longest!  The joy in her eyes when I was done is all that really matters!   I LOVE seeing the look on their faces!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 

Thanks K8Memphis!  it was def a long process and SO glad that is over with!  It wasn't the hardest cake I made but It took the longest!  The joy in her eyes when I was done is all that really matters!   I LOVE seeing the look on their faces!

it's the 'hokey pokey effect'

'cause that's what it's all about!!!

<insert wildly clapping hands smilie face>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%