Newbie - Question With Cake Flour

Decorating By Gary123 Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 12:32am by Rodriguez-km

Gary123 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone

 

Looking for some help here from the baking experts.

 

I have a recipe for a yellow cake that calls for Flour which I assume is All Purpose flour.

But right now all I have in the pantry is "Cake flour" which I had bought for another cupcake recipe.

 

My question is can I use cake flour instead of all purpose flour? In that case what changes should I make to the baking powder/ flour ratio in the recipe? Here are the ingredients that the recipe called for -

 

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

 

Thanks in advance,

Gary

5 replies
Rodriguez-km Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 6

Cake flour contains salt and baking powder (make aure on the ingredients label) so you jus would add those ingrediets to the recipe, everything else stays the same. Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary123 

Hi everyone

 

Looking for some help here from the baking experts.

 

I have a recipe for a yellow cake that calls for Flour which I assume is All Purpose flour.

But right now all I have in the pantry is "Cake flour" which I had bought for another cupcake recipe.

 

My question is can I use cake flour instead of all purpose flour? In that case what changes should I make to the baking powder/ flour ratio in the recipe? Here are the ingredients that the recipe called for -

 

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

 

Thanks in advance,

Gary

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez-km 

Cake flour contains salt and baking powder (make aure on the ingredients label) so you jus would add those ingrediets to the recipe, everything else stays the same. Good luck!

 

 

rodrigues-km--i think you mean self rising flour?  most cake flours i have seen do not have any extras like that but maybe you know something i don't know--i can't find that kind of cake flour here anyhow

 

gary--it's all the same imo--the texture will be different in the end result--sometimes the substitution is no problem and sometimes it makes it better and some recipes only work they way they are written-- i mean after you make it you'll be able to make a judgment call on it though--i don't know any hard and fast rules on it though

 

best baking to you

 

now i'm gonna go look it up in some books--i'll report back if i find anything

Serena4016 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

I just happen to have a box of cake flour in front of me........It does NOT have (as per ingredients list) any added salt or leveners. It says..bleached wheat flour,niacin, iron,thiamin mononitrate,riboflavin,folic acid.

 

To substitute SOFTASILK (this is the brand I have) cake flour for all purpose flour, use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for each cup of all purpose flour in the recipe. This was taken directly from the side of the box.

 

FYI...The box also says that cake flour is milled from select soft wheat that gives cakes high volume, fine texture,and delicate tenderness.

 

So there you have it...directly from the box...I hope this helps!!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena4016 

I just happen to have a box of cake flour in front of me........It does NOT have (as per ingredients list) any added salt or leveners. It says..bleached wheat flour,niacin, iron,thiamin mononitrate,riboflavin,folic acid.

 

To substitute SOFTASILK (this is the brand I have) cake flour for all purpose flour, use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for each cup of all purpose flour in the recipe. This was taken directly from the side of the box.

 

FYI...The box also says that cake flour is milled from select soft wheat that gives cakes high volume, fine texture,and delicate tenderness.

 

So there you have it...directly from the box...I hope this helps!!

 

shame on me--of course--the flour amount is different

 

but not the leavening to flour ratio to my knowledge

Rodriguez-km Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

 

 

 

rodrigues-km--i think you mean self rising flour?  most cake flours i have seen do not have any extras like that but maybe you know something i don't know--i can't find that kind of cake flour here anyhow

 

 

 

oops! yes, I was thinking self rising, not cake flour! thank you for clarifying that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%