Pro's And Cons Of Opening In A Small Town

Business By KellyMorgin Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 4:15pm by kisamarie

KellyMorgin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyMorgin Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 11

hello i am wondering your thoughts of opening a specialty cake shop in a small town rather then a big city?

10 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 11

I've watched two cake shops go under in my "small town" in the last 2 years.  I think the overhead was what killed them.....

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 11

AThe only pro I can think of is lower rent.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 11

What is the demographic or your surrounding towns?  Also, will it just be cakes?  A small town alone most likely won't make much money because it's so small.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 11

How close to a big town are you?

I am 1/2 hr south of Cleveland.  I am competitively priced with Cleveland bakeries, which may be a little high for my area (although I do have many customers from my town) but I offer what no one else in my town is doing.  I'm marketing to a certain income demographic ALL over the Cleveland area.....not just the people in my town.

And to some, it's worth paying $50+ for delivery to many miles away for better cake than what is found at a high-end bakeries in other towns.  I am going to start concentrating my efforts to high-end suburbs of the Cleveland area.  Target Market...here I come!

Can you keep it in your home?

KellyMorgin Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

How close to a big town are you?

We are a hour away from a big city.

KellyMorgin Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

What is the demographic or your surrounding towns? 

The median income for a household in the city is $49,573 with a population of 14,853 people. 

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:41am
post #8 of 11

My business is in a very small town. All of our cakes are custom ordered. We do several wedding cakes and lots of birthday cakes. We do have cupcakes for walk in customers. We do not charge as much as we could in a big city, our cupcakes are only $1.50 each. The folks in our town are pretty supportative.

If your overhead is not too high, you can be successful in a small town.

KellyMorgin Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:06am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye 

My business is in a very small town. All of our cakes are custom ordered. We do several wedding cakes and lots of birthday cakes. We do have cupcakes for walk in customers. We do not charge as much as we could in a big city, our cupcakes are only $1.50 each. The folks in our town are pretty supportative.

If your overhead is not too high, you can be successful in a small

Thanks

I believe the small town would not be able to afford 3.00 per cupcake, we are currently in a big city and are having a hard time getting noticed due to the high volume of cupcake/cake shops in our area.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:58am
post #10 of 11

Not mine, but there is a shop that opened in my small town about the same size as yours. She sells cupcakes and custom cakes, but has branched out into doing classes, as well as making soup/sandwiches etc for lunches. I'm guessing she couldn't pay the rent just making custom cakes.

Plus, just by looking at her FB page, I'm guessing she does about 4 wedding cakes per year, and the vast majority of the rest of her custom cakes are pretty plain. I'd say that most people just won't pay the money for anything more complex and expensive.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

Not mine, but there is a shop that opened in my small town about the same size as yours. She sells cupcakes and custom cakes, but has branched out into doing classes, as well as making soup/sandwiches etc for lunches. I'm guessing she couldn't pay the rent just making custom cakes.

Plus, just by looking at her FB page, I'm guessing she does about 4 wedding cakes per year, and the vast majority of the rest of her custom cakes are pretty plain. I'd say that most people just won't pay the money for anything more complex and expensive.

That's what happened to the shops in my small town.  They tried to branch out to do catering to supplement the lack of income for the cake business and neither of them made it.  I think perhaps if you start out in a Rental Kitchen and see what kind of business you can drum up with a strong advertising campaign, you will be able to see if you will be able to make it, in your small town...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%